Don't pay hefty penalty. Renew car insurance in just 5 mins.
Duplicate Driving Licence (Sarathi) in India
For some people, driving on roads is like a therapy for their stress whereas it a means of easy and comfortable travel for others. Driving your own car offers you the liberty to move around anywhere, anytime, however, in India, it is mandatory to hold a valid driving license if you wish to drive or ride on roads. As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is strictly prohibited for any individuals to drive without a valid driving licence.
Duplicate Driving Licence
Driving Licence (Sarathi) is an official document which is issued by the Government of India and offers permit to an individual to drive a vehicle on Indian roads. The Driving Licence Certifies that the individual is eligible to drive or ride motorized vehicles on public roads without any supervision.
The driving licence is issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) or Regional Transport Authority (RTA) of the state wherein the individual resides. The licence specifies that the individual has gone through the required training process and has a good knowledge of traffic rules and regulations.
The driving licence comes with a registration number along with the passport size photo of the vehicle owner. The licence must have a rubber stamp on it in addition to the signature of the officer-in-charge along with the office mentioned (from where it was issued). If you are in the learning stage of driving then you should first get a learners license and then get a permanent one.
I Lost My Driving Licence, What Should I Do Now?
- There might be situations wherein you may end up losing your driving license. Under such circumstances, one must follow the following steps to get a duplicate one:
- The first and foremost step that an individual must take when he or she loses the driving licence is to approach the police station that has the jurisdiction of the area where the licence was lost.
- Make a complaint of the lost Driving Licence and get a copy of the FIR
- You would also need to visit the notary office to obtain an affidavit on stamped paper stating that your license is lost
How to get a duplicate driving licence?
Here’s How to Apply for Duplicate Driving Licence Online
One can apply for Driving Licence online by following the below mentioned steps:
One must visit the official Sarathi Website (sarathi.nic.in).
Then, click on the ‘Sarathi Services’ and then select ‘New Driving Licence’.
Skim through the details and download the form.
As per the instructions mentioned, fill the form and submit it. Also, ensure that you note the form application number before submitting the form.
You would receive an SMS showing the status of your driving licence application after the submission.
Now, click on ‘Application for LL Test’(under the online transaction with Sarathi section) and schedule your learner’s licence test.
Now your time and date of the test would be scheduled.
Carry the required documents (i.e. residence and age proof) along with you at the time of the test.
Here’s How to Apply for Duplicate Driving Licence Offline
For the ones who want to apply for Driving Licence offline must follow below mentioned steps:
Get the application form (Form 1 for Learner License and Form 4 for Permanent Licence) i.e. a form of a motor vehicle driving licence in India. You can get this form from the nearest RTO office or download it online from the State Transport Website.
You need to then fill the form with the required details and submit it along with your address and age proof at the RTO Office near your area. Also, schedule a slot for your test and pay the fees.
One must ensure that you reach the test centre on the given date and time. Once you clear the test, your driving licence will be sent to your registered address.
In case you are taking driving lessons from a driving school, then the school’s officials can assist you in procuring your license.
What are the Documents Required to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in India?
In order to ensure that there is no delay in the application process, one must submit the below-mentioned documents while applying for a driving licence:
List of Documents
The following documents are mandatory to ensure there is no delay in the application process:
For Age Proof (any one of the below-given documents):
- Birth Certificate
- PAN Card
- 10th Class mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from any school (DOB printed on it).
For Address proof:
For permanent proof one can submit any one of the document:
- Self-owned house agreement
- Electricity bill (issued in applicant’s name)
- Voters ID card
- Ration card
- LIC bond
- Aadhaar Card
- For current proof one can submit any one of the document:
- Rental agreement and LPG bill
- Rental agreement and electricity bill
- Duly-filled application form
- Six passport sized photographs (for Learners License) and 1 passport sized photograph (when for driving licence)
- Application Fees
- If you are staying in other cities, you can present the rental agreement with one recent utility bill copy which can be a gas bill or electric bill as your current address proof.
- Medical Certificate (Form 1 A and 1) which is to be issued by a certified Government doctor
- For applicants above 40 years, a Medical certificate is mandatory.
Duplicate Driving Licence FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers about Duplicate Driving Licence FAQs
1. From where can I get Duplicate Driving licence online form
Visit the official website – the Sarathi website, gov.in and click on the Online Services.
• Select the state
• Fill the appropriate details
• Upload the required documents
• Upload Photo and Signature (if needed)
• Pay the fees
• Submit the LLD form
• Take a print out of the duly filled form
• Submit the form and the required documents at the RTO office which had issued your original driving license
• After the completion of the formalities, your duplicate driving license as the smart card will be sent to your registered address.
• You will then receive a receipt that can be used in lieu until the time you don’t get your duplicate driving license.
2. How to check duplicate driving licence status?
If the process is taking too long, you can get your driving license status online by visiting the Sarathi website or if you are not familiar of the online process, you can visit the nearest RTO office to apply offline.
3. What is the fee for a duplicate driving licence?
The cost of issuance of a duplicate license for driving schools is 2000 (old fees in Rs.) and 5000 (new fees in Rs.).
4. How can I get a duplicate driving licence in Gujarat?
Approach the RTO office to which his area belongs to
Follow our “Office Locations & Contacts” section of this page to get details of the RTO offices
Download Application form
Complete application form
Get all the necessary documents to process the application
The applicant should make sure they are eligible for applying for duplicate driver license
Application forms can be obtained from the appropriate RTO office.
Present the completed application forms in one of the counter and pay the appropriate fee where the officials would start processing your application and issue the duplicate driver license.
5. What is the new process for duplicate driving licence in Mumbai?
If you’re driving licence is stolen, tampered, or misplaced, you can request for a duplicate driving licence. For that you need to file an FIR with the police and visit the RTO along with an FIR copy and other supporting documents like duly-filled LLD form, the damaged card is available, identity proof, address proof, and the fees for issuing duplicate DL. After successful verification, a duplicate driving licence will be issued to you.
6. How to get a duplicate driving licence in Pune?
You can request for a duplicate driving licence if your Driving Licence is stolen, tampered or misplaced.
Follow the following steps:
1. File a First Information Report (FIR) with the police
2. Visit the RTO with a copy of the FIR and other supporting documents like duly-filled LLD form, damaged card (if available), identity proof, proof of address, and the fees for issuing duplicate DL.
After successful verification, a duplicate driving licence will be issued to you. The documents required are:
• 2 passport size photo
• Copy of FIR
• Damaged DL
• Proof of residence
• Duly-filled application form
• Copy of PAN card
7. How to get a driving license in Karnataka?
Visit the nearest RTO and collect the application form or apply via a motor driving school or download one directly from the official website. After the submission of the required documents, you will be given a slot for the preliminary test. This process is to test your knowledge of the road rules, regulations and traffic laws. On clearing the test, you will be given a learner’s license.
Assuming that you have already given the preliminary test and attained a learner’s license in Karnataka, the remaining procedure is quite simple. Since your Learners License is valid only for 6 months and you can apply for a permanent driving license only after 1 month, you are expected to practice driving on road and ground at least for a month. Once you are confident for the practical test, you can opt for any available slot after one month.
8. How to apply for a driving license online in UP?
The applicant is required to:
Apply for a driving licence online by visiting the e-services portal of the official website
Download Form 4
Enter the appropriate details in the form
Upload requisite documents such as proof of identity and nationality of the applicant, as mentioned in the portal
Submit the form after completion of all information
A reference number will be generated, which has to be produced at the time of the competency test
Some RTOs may also ask for a printout of the filled registration form
9. Is filing an FIR necessary if I lose a driving licence?
Yes, filing an FIR is necessary if you lose your driving license. In order to get your Driving License reissued, this FIR needs to be submitted to the respective government authority.