Don't pay hefty penalty. Renew car insurance in just 5 mins.
How to Apply for Driving License in Himachal Pradesh
Driving license is a government permit which any individual requires in order to drive a motor vehicle on Indian roads. The driving license permit can be obtained by giving a theory and practical driving test at your regional R.T.O office. If a person does not hold a valid driving license he or she is not eligible to drive or ride on Indian roads. In the state of Himachal Pradesh, the issuing of driving licenses is done by the Transport Department of the Himachal Pradesh. The Government of India has taken measures to bring in technology in offering of transport permits. Hence driving license can be applied online through the official website of state RTO. For individuals who prefer conventional ways of applying, offline method of applying for driving license is also open.
Types of Driving License in Himanchal Pradesh
The Ministry of Transport and Highways has classified driving license into three types. Driving license for two-wheelers like scooters and motorcycles, driving license for private cars and driving license for commercial vehicles.
Driving license for two-wheeler/motorcycle
Driving license for two-wheeler/ motorcycle is issued to individuals who successfully clear the two-wheeler driving test.
Driving license issued for car
Driving license for car is issued to those individuals who successful clear the car driving test. The car driving license is meant for driving car for personal use only. The minimum age required to apply for car driving license is 18 years.
Driving license issued for Commercial Transport Vehicle
Driving license for commercial transport vehicle is issued to those applicants who want to drive a motor vehicle for commercial usage.
Eligibility Criteria for Obtaining Driving License in Himachal Pradesh
• The minimum age required to apply for two-wheeler/motorcycle and car driving license for personal use is 18 years.
• The minimum age to apply for commercial vehicle driving license is 20 years.
• The minimum age to ride a two-wheeler of engine capacity less than 50cc is 16 years.
• Applicant needs to first apply for learner license (CMV FORM 2) in order to be eligible to gives test for permanent driving license.
• The applicant needs to study and be well-versed with latest traffic rules and regulations to pass the driving theory test.
Documents Required for Obtaining Driving License in Himachal Pradesh
• School leaving certificate
• Original Birth certificate
• Original Valid passport
• Valid passport
• Valid Voter’s ID
• Valid Ration card
• Electricity bill
• Application form duly filled
• Valid learner’s license
• 3 passport size photographs
• Medical certificate along with Form 1-A if the applicant is above the age of 50 years
• Test fees and smart card fees
• Link to detail on fees for Driving license in Himachal Pradesh (https://himachal.nic.in/index1.php?lang=1&dpt_id=3&level=1&sublinkid=1207&lid=1474)
• Application 5 in case the applicant is applying for a commercial transport driving license
How to apply for a Driving License in Himachal Pradesh?
The applicant has a choice of opting for driving license in Himachal Pradesh either through Online mode via the official website of Transport Department of Himachal Pradesh or through offline mode which is visiting the applicable RTO office in the region.
Online application process to get the driving license in Himachal Pradesh
• Visit Official website of Department of Transport, Himachal Pradesh on https://himachal.nic.in/index.php?lang=1&dpt_id=3
• On top of the homepage, click on tab “Online Services”
• On Online services page, select “Driving License Related”
• Select Himachal Pradesh State from the drop-down menu
• You will be directed to a new page which will have the link and instruction to apply for learner or permanent driving license on the left-hand side of the page.
• Click on the driving license type you require
• You will need to fill the application form and submit it online.
• Upload the scanned documents (mentioned above) along with the application
• You then need to book a slot for driving test as per your convenience
• On the date of the test, visit the regional RTO as per the test timings
• Once you pass the test the Driving license will be sent to your address
Offline Application Process to get driving license permit in Himachal Pradesh
• Go to the nearest RTO office and get the relevant applicant forms 4 and form 1A
• Fill the forms completely and submit the document required (Doc checklist mentioned above)
• Pay the required fees for test and smart card
• Book the test slot as per your convenience
• Appear for the test on the selected date
• On passing the test the driving license will sent to the applicant’s address
Most frequent questions and answers about driving licence in himachal pradesh
1. What is the validity of driving license obtained in the state of Himachal Pradesh?
Driving license obtained from any state in India is valid for a period of 20 years or the age of 50 years for the applicant whichever comes earlier.
2. Can I get an International Driving License in Himachal Pradesh?
Yes, you can apply for an International driving license from the nearest RTO of your residence in Himachal Pradesh. The application process can be done online or offline as per your choice. The validity of international driving license is for 1 year only.
3. What documents are required for international driving license?
Following are the documents required for the application of an international driving license.
• Copy of Valid driving licence
• Address proof – Electricity bill, passport, Aadhaar card etc
• Copy of Birth Certificate
• Copy of passport
• Copy of a Valid Visa
• Required Fees
• Photograph passport size x 2
4. What is the validity period of a learner driving license?
The learner driving license is valid for a period of 6 months. The permanent driving license test can be given after 30 days of getting a learner license and before 6 months. If a person fails to give a permanent driving test within the validity of leaner license then he/she will need to apply for learner license again to apply for the permanent driving test.
5. Can I drive with learner driving license?
You can only drive with learner driving license provided you are accompanied with licensed driving license instructor or with a person who holds a permanent valid driving license.