Don't pay hefty penalty. Renew car insurance in just 5 mins.
Driving Licence (Sarathi) in Shimla
Driving a vehicle is one of the most common skills that modern man and woman have learnt as it makes traversing from one point to another very convenient. Even though public transport infrastructure is now better than ever and is continuously growing but it cannot compare to the convenience, comfort and ease of a personal vehicle. Both buses and your personal vehicle require you to have a driving licence to be a legal sarathi.
After you turn 18, you can apply for a driving licence to be a sarathi. One can also apply for a learner’s licence after he/she has turned 16.
Different types of Driving Licence in India
There are a number of different types of Driving Licences issued in India for both personal and commercial use. These licences are issued by the RTO in their respective states. These licences are:
• Motorcycles with engine capacity less than 50cc
• Motorcycles without gear, including scooters
• Light Motor Vehicles
• Motorcycles with engine capacity greater than 50cc and with gear
• Medium Goods Vehicles
• Light Motor Vehicles (Used for commercial transport)
• Heavy Motor Vehicles
• Heavy Goods Motor Vehicles
• Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicles
• Heavy Transport Vehicles
What is the Eligibility Criteria To Avail Driving Licence in Shimla?
• To apply for a motorcycle or a LMV licence one must at least be 18 years of age.
• To apply for a commercial vehicle licence one must be at least 20 years of age.
• A learner’s licence is awarded to those who are above 16 but below 18 years of age for motorcycle with 50cc engine capacity.
How to apply for Driving Licence in Shimla?
To become a sarathi and get your driving-licence in Shimla one has to follow simple steps and they can get their driving licence within a week. One can apply either online or offline and the procedure is incredibly easy and convenient for applicants.
When applying offline, one has to submit the required documents to the RTO in their area. One can also apply for a learner’s licence via the same procedure and then get a permanent driving licence after they turn 18 years of age.
Procedure to Apply for Driving Licence in Shimla
The procedure for applying for a driving-licence in fairly straightforward and simple. One can either apply online or offline at their nearby RTO. Following the procedure correctly will let you get your driving licence quickly and make you a legal sarathi.
The procedure for offline application for driving-licence is as follows:
• Download and fill application forms number 4 from the official Government of Shimla website.
• For commercial vehicle licence, one needs to fill form 5.
• Submit the documents required in the application.
• Submit the processing fees as required.
• One must go through a driving test that tests both theoretical and practical knowledge.
When applying online:
• Visit the Shimla State transport authority website at http://himachal.nic.in/en-IN/
• Navigate to the licence page and apply for permanent driving licence.
• Fill the application form and upload the relevant documents as required.
• Submit the form and pay the required fees.
• Book a slot for your driving test as per your convenience.
• After passing the test and submitting all required documents, you’ll receive your Driving Licence at your registered address.
What are the Documents Required to Apply for Driving Licence in Shimla?
To become a sarathi in Shimla, you need the following documents:
• Age Proof
• Address Proof
• Medical Certificate
• 3 recent Passport size photographs.
• Aadhaar Card (proof of age and residence)
Most frequent questions and answers about driving licence in shimla
1. How to apply for learning driving licence in Shimla?
• You can apply through http://himachal.nic.in/en-IN/
• You can apply offline by visiting your local RTO
2. How to renew driving licence in Shimla?
• You can apply for licence renewal by filling form 9
• Submit forms 1 and 1A
• Pay a fees of INR 200
3. How to check Driving Licence number?
• The driving-licence number is printed on your driving licence
4. How to apply for duplicate driving licence in Shimla?
• If the driving-licence is stolen, copy of the FIR along with the details of Driving Licence.
• If the driving-licence is damaged, original driving-licence is to be produced.
• LLD application form is to be filled to get your duplicate driving-licence.
5. How to check the status of driving licence in Shimla?
• Go to http://himachal.nic.in/en-IN/ and go to document delivery status
• Enter your application number to know the status