Don't pay hefty penalty. Renew car insurance in just 5 mins.
Driving Licence (Sarathi) in Kerala
Driving licence is always mandatory in order to drive a four-wheeler or a two-wheeler in India. Without a valid driving licence, no one is allowed to drive on the street. This rule is applicable to Kerala state as well. The RTO is responsible for providing driving licence in Kerala. Apart from this, it also helps in renewing, issuing an International Driving Licence, etc. Driving licence is given in 17 regional and 42 sub-regional transport offices in Kerala. The process is quite simpler here.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Kerala?
An individual is issued a driving licence based upon certain conditions which are further classified based upon the type of vehicle. The below is the categorization for obtaining a driving licence in Kerala:
· Driving licence for the motorcycle with an engine capacity of 50CC or less than 50CC:
This category of driving licence includes motorcycle which has an engine capacity of 50CC or less
· Driving licence for motor cycle with gear or without gear motorcycle:
This category is for motor cycle with gear or motorcycle without gear. The examples of which include scooters and mopeds,etc
· Driving licence for non-transport:
· In this section, the vehicles include light motor vehicles or LMV which are used for the non-transport purpose.
· Driving licence for commercial purpose:
This includes vehicle such as commercial purpose vehicles. The example is a light motor vehicle which is for use in commercial purpose.
· Driving licencefor Heavy goods vehicle
· Driving licence for Heavy passenger vehicle
· Driving licence for a motor cycle of a specified description
What is the Eligibility Criteria To Avail Driving Licence in Kerala?
In order to avail a Driving Licence in Kerala, an applicant must satisfy the below criteria:
• An applicant must be
between 16-18 years of age in order to apply for a motorcycle with an engine
capacity of less than 50CC. For this, he/she must get written consent from
• An applicant must be
at least 18 years in order to apply for a driving license for a non-transport
vehicle, but to apply for a transport vehicle, the applicant must be at least 20
years of age and should also have at least passed 8th standard
• A driver will be exempt
from receiving one-year driving licence experience if in case the applicant
needs a transport vehicle driving licence for auto rickshaw driving.
• An applicant should
properly know the rules and regulations
• An individual can apply
for a permanent driving licence after 30 days or within 180 days from date of
issuing of learner’s licence.
How To Apply For Driving Licence in Kerala?
In order for an individual to apply for a driving licence in Kerala, one can apply through online or offline mode. First, the individual should have a learner’s licence, and only after 30 days of issuance of LL, he/she can apply for a permanent driving licence. For applying for driving licence in Kerala, an applicant must first fill the form, he/she could also download it online. After this, the applicant can submit the application form along with relevant documents to the RTO office and book a preferable slot for driving test. After passing the test, one can obtain a learners licence. 30 days after receiving the learners licence and 180 days from the date of issuance of the same, one can opt for a permanent driving licence.
Procedure To Apply For Driving Licence in Kerala?
There are online and offline procedures to apply for a driving licence in Kerala. For obtaining a driving licence through online mode, below are the steps which must be followed:
· An individual can download the form from Kerala website keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/forms/driving-licence. This form is available in both languages English and Malayalam
· Select ‘online services’ and then click ‘driving licence related services’
· Select Kerala from the drop-down list and then select apply online on the left bar of the page
· Click ‘new driving licence’
· Fill all the application details and upload the documents
· Upload the photograph and signature (if the facility is available)
· Book driving licence test slot
· Pay the applicable fees
· Application number would be generated
· Take a print out of all the forms and submit the document to the RTO office
· Carry all the original documents and book slot for DL test
· Apply for driving licence
For obtaining a driving licence through offline mode, below are steps which need to be followed:
· Collect the form from the RTO office and fill the form
· Submit relevant documents and form
· Book slot for driving licence as per your availability
· Take the driving licence test
What Are the Documents Required To Apply For Driving Licence in Kerala?
There are a few documents that are required to be submitted in order to be eligible for obtaining a driving licence in Kerala.
1) Physical declaration form (Form 1): This form is for applicant below 50 years and wants to apply for non-transport driving vehicle
2) Medical Certificate form (Form 1A): This form needs to be received by some medical practitioner in case the applicant is above 50 years and applies for non-transport vehicle driving licence
3) Application form for driving licence (Form 4)
4) Get an eye test certificate from an ophthalmologist
5) Age proof and address proof documents (eg: Voter id card, Aadhar card, Passport, etc)
Kerala Driving Licence (Sarathi) FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers about mumbai RTO
1) How to apply for learning driving license?
· Go tosarathi website (www.sarathi.net.in)
· Fill the relevant form, and submit it along with the required documents Carry original documents as well
· Book a slot for driving licence test
· Attempt the test and after passing, the applicant will receive a learner’s licence.
2) How to renew the driving licence in Kerala?
Eligibility for driving licence in Kerala is 20 years, till the age of 50 years, whichever is earliest. Driving licencerenewal takes place within 30 days of the period of expiry, which is the grace period. If in case applied for a driving license after the grace period, then the individual will be subject to an additional fee of INR 300.
These are the steps to follow in order to obtain a driving licence in Kerala:
· Visit nearest RTO office ( or download form online through Kerala keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/forms/driving-licence or www.keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/license2) to get the renewal form
· Click on apply online on licence renewal, enter all the details and click on go button
· An application number would be generated
· Reprint online application form and visit RTO office along with printed and original documents. Submit the documents to RTO.
· After verification, the applicant would receive renewal DL
DL can also be received through parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ website
Below documents needs to be submitted for renewal of driving licence:
· Form 9 ( for renewal of DL)
· Driving licence
· Form 1(for Physical fitness )
· Form 1-A (Medical Certificate)
· 2 passport size photographs
· Application fee INR 200 and service charge INR 50
3) How to check driving licence number?
In order to check for driving licence number, one could do either of the below:
· Visit Sarathi website
· Visit nearest RTO office in Kerala
4) How to apply for duplicate driving licence in Kerala?
· Go to RTO office ( or download form online through Kerala keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/forms/driving-licence or www.keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/license2). This form is available in English.
· Click on apply online on the duplicatelicence, select office name, enter dob, licence number and select go
· An application number would be generated
· Reprint online application form
· Visit RTO office, take printed and original documents as well. Submit the documents to RTO.
· The applicant would receive duplicate DL after verification
Duplicate DL can also be received through parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ website
After submitting documents, the applicant will have to bear nominal fees, after which a duplicate DL will be issued.
Below are the documents which need to be submitted:
· Application form LLD
· Driving licence details (licence number,licence holder’s name, date of birth,etc)
· Photographs (passport size)
· A copy of FIR, if driving licence is lost due to theft
The driving licence would be issued in Kerala only if driving licence is lost, misplaced or torn.
5) How to check the status of driving licence in Kerala?
· Go toSarathi website, click ‘Status of licence’ option
· Select Kerala as a stateand enter the driving license number
· Click on the submit button, the applicant will get the information about driving licence status.