No Paper Work
In India, people tend to call themselves pet parents rather than pet owners as they consider pets as their own family members. When you are a pet parent, you need to protect and safeguard them like a responsible parent as well; for that having a pet insurance plan is very important to offer your pet all-around protection.
Keeping your pet healthy and safe may prove to be expensive for you as there are several medical needs that your pet may require such as vaccination, tick treatment, grooming, wound treatment, and other medical emergencies. The vet fees, para-vet charges, and other subsequent medical and surgical costs are sky-rocketing due to inflation. There comes the pet insurance plan in rescue that offers you the best medical and legal assistance if you face such an unexpected, and unfortunate situation.
Features And Benefits Of Pet Insurance Plans?
In India, pet insurance plans are gaining popularity due to their unique features, usefulness, and importance. It has come up with a sack full of benefits to offer your pet a beautiful and healthy life. To know more about its advantages and features, have a look at the below mentions.
Customizable Plans – Most of the insurers that offer pet insurance plans are flexible enough to allow you to customize the plan for your dog, cat, birds, etc. as per your requirements.
Protection For Health – If you buy a pet insurance plan, it will help your precious pet to get the best medical treatment and care, whenever necessary.
Protection From Accidents – If your pet meets an accident, the medical expenses may become a burden on your shoulder. But a pet insurance policy offers you coverage for the costs of treatments arising out of an accident to ensure your pet’s comprehensive protection.
IRDA Approved – The pet insurance plans are approved by IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority), just like the other insurance plans.
Third Party Liability – Some pet insurance policies offer third party liability cover, in the event that your pet bites/ attacks a third party or causes damage to third party property.
Pocket-friendly – Usually, the premiums that you need to pay for a pet insurance plan are very affordable and at a much lower premium rate you get a wide range of benefits such as medical care, accidents, and even overseas protection in some cases.
Protection Against Critical or Long-term Illness – Lifetime cover protects the pet and its owners against any critical/ long-term illness, including diseases such as eczema, arthritis, etc. The policyholder who opts for a lifetime pet insurance policy will receive a specified amount each year towards the treatment of the pet.
Loss or Theft of Pet – In case of unfortunate and untimely demise or theft of your pet, you will get compensation from the insurer.
Incapacitation – If you feel incapacitated to keep your pet, the insurer will also cover that, though this may vary from one insurer to another.
Additional Covers – To strengthen your pet policy and to offer more protection to your pet, you can also opt for additional cover or add-on cover by paying a little extra premium.
Different Types of Pet Insurance
In India, the insurance companies have seen offering cattle and livestock insurance plans for many years, but now, many insurers have come forward to offer pet insurance plans keeping in mind their needs of them. Cattle and livestock insurance plans are for those animals that are used for commercial purposes, whereas pet insurance plans are totally for precious fur babies. There are different types of pet insurance plans that are available in India. Let’s have a look at some of them.
While it is proven that dogs are the most faithful animals, it is historical fact that humans tend to keep dogs as their pets the most. Apart from that, since the outbreak of the global pandemic, it has been found that humans tend to grow more bonding and friendship with the dogs. So, they try to keep their best friends healthy and protected as well. Therefore, most of the insurers in India offer dog insurance products in different forms to keep this bond intact.
Apart from dogs, cats are our second most popular pets of ours. Being a cat parent, it is your duty to prioritize your cat’s health and safety. For that, certain insurers also have come up with cat insurance plans that are available for both stray and exotic cats.
Many of us like to keep a rabbit as our pets due to their affectionate and friendly nature. These beautiful fur babies also need protection and safety. Therefore, some of the insurers sell rabbit insurance plans to keep your precious babies warm and sound.
Insurance Companies In India That Offer Pet Insurance Plans
India is growing more awareness and responsibilities towards pets as they are also living beings and very close to our hearts. So, apart from cattle and livestock insurance products, many insurers have come forward to offer pet insurance plans to keep our pets content and protected from different types of perils that they are exposed to. Here is a list of companies along with the plan names that provide pet insurance plans in India. Take a look.
|Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company
|Pet Dog Insurance Policy
|The Oriental Insurance Company Limited
Dog Insurance Plan
Pet Insurance Policies in Detail
To know more about these insurance products in detail follow the below mentions.
1. Bajaj Allianz Pet Dog Insurance Policy
This product promises to give your dog the best medical care while protecting your bank account from unexpected, and expensive, veterinary bills. This annual policy not only acts as dog health insurance but also offers support in case your pet goes missing.
Key Highlights of The Plan:
- Surgery expenses and hospitalization cover – This is the only mandatory cover that allows getting the surgery expenses for treatment of the dog, carried out by a qualified vet, up to a maximum of INR 50000. If your pet has to be hospitalized, this cover will safeguard you financially which is subject to a maximum of INR. 2500 per day of hospitalization of Insured dog for a maximum of 4 days.
- Optional benefits – You can also purchase optional benefits according to your convenience to strengthen your policy. These optional covers are – mortality benefit cover, terminal diseases cover, long term care cover, OPD cover, third party liability cover, and theft/lost/straying cover.
- Pre-policy medical tests – For buying this policy, no pre-policy medical test for your pet dog is mandatory, even if your pet is at a higher age. However, there will be some waiting periods for certain diseases.
- Discount – If your pet dog has a microchip or is RFID tagged, you get extra savings of 5% on the premium that you need to pay towards the policy.
|Minimum entry age
|3 months to 4 years for Giant Breeds and 3 months to 7 years for Small/Medium/Large breeds.
|6 years for Giant breeds or 10 years for Small/Medium/Large breeds
Usually, 90 days
No waiting period for accidents.
Color Photographs of the dog from all sides with a newspaper of Proposal date in the same frame (Front, Back, Right, Left, Top)
Color Photo of Microchip / RFID Tagging with the Identification Number clearly visible
2. Dog Insurance Plan under National Insurance Company
National Insurance Company has come up with this dog insurance plan that safeguards your pet from a wide range of risks.
Key Highlights of The Policy:
- Applicability – All pet dogs, exotic or crossbreed can be insured. For Police dogs, dogs used as watcher and pet dogs exceeding the value of Rs. 25,000, prior approval of RO is necessary.
- Death Benefit – If your dog suffers any unfortunate demise due to any disease or accident including natural calamities, malicious acts, and poisoning by a third party, due to emergency or mercy killing, the policy will compensate for that.
- Third party Benefit – Third party liability benefit is available with this policy up to an extent of Rs. 50,000/- in any third party accident and /or during any period of insurance.
- Additional Cover – You can also opt for any of the following additional covers under this policy:
- Dog Show Risk: 0.5% extra on Sum Insured.
- Third Party Extension in excess of 50,000 – 1% extra on the additional annual limit.
- Disability risk: Extra 1% on the Sum Insured
- Breeding, Pregnancy, and Whelping Risk: 1.5% on the sum insured.
|2 months to 8 years
|100% commercial value
1) Metal ear tagging
2) Nose print
3) Cold branding
|Basic cover minus 6%
3. Rabbit Insurance Plan under National Insurance Company
To safeguard your rabbits National Insurance Company has offered this policy, which is made in an agreement between the subsidiaries of GIC with regard to the rates, terms, and conditions prescribed by this Agreement to underwrite the business of Rabbit Insurance in India.
Key Highlights of The Plan:
- Applicability – All breeds of rabbits in India can be covered under this policy.
- Scope of cover – If your rabbit undergoes any unfortunate demise arising out of any disease or accident during the policy period of an active policy, you will get compensation for that.
- Indemnity – Under this plan, the indemnity value is 70% of S.I. or M.V. whichever is less.
- Specific exclusion – If your rabbit suffers from any of the following, the company will not take any responsibility for that.
|4 months to 4 years
(Any of the above)
|100% of the market value
|7% (N.S.), and 2.75% (S)
|Rs. 10 per rabbit
4. Dog Insurance Plan under the Oriental Insurance Company
This plan is designed to offer your precious dog a beautiful, healthy life. To obtain this policy, Veterinary Certificate from a qualified Veterinary Doctor is mandatory on the company’s form.
Key Highlights of The Plan:
- Applicability – All dogs in India including indigenous, crossbreed, or exotic dogs which are pets, watchdogs, sheepdogs, and hunting dogs can be covered under this policy.
- Scope of Cover – If your dog suffers from untimely and unfortunate demise arising out of an accident and/or any diseases contracted during the period of insurance, this policy will cover that.
- Salvage – In the event of death of an insured dog, any amount received or receivable by the proposer from third parties and the value of the salvage recovered, if any, would be deducted from the claim amount.
- Additional Cover – You can choose any of the following extensions available under this policy.
- Death by accident in transit by air, rail, road, and water and different show risks.
- Death by accident poisoning.
- Breeding risks.
- Lost or stolen dogs.
- Loss of show entry fees.
- Liability for personal injury and damage to property.
- World-wide transit clause.
|8 weeks to 8 years
Any one of the followings:
6% flat on the sum insured.
The minimum premium per policy is Rs. 20.
80% Market value or sum insured, whichever is less.
20% of the claim amount to be
borne by the insured.
5. Rabbit Insurance Plan Under Oriental Insurance Company
This plan is specially designed to provide your fur baby with a hassle-free, healthy, and protected life. And also, this plan is made as per the terms and conditions of the Cattle Market Agreement.
- Applicability – All breeds of rabbits in India are covered under this policy.
- Scope of cover – If your rabbit, unfortunately, dies due to an accident and/or diseases contracted during the period of insurance, you will get compensation for that.
- Valuation – Valuation should be done by a qualified veterinary surgeon at the time of proposing the insurance. A valuation table indicating the value of rabbits from 3 months onwards to 4 years as certified by a veterinary surgeon should be submitted to the company.
- Salvage – A salvage value of Rs.10/-per rabbit is to be deducted at the time of claim.
3 months to 3 years till they complete the age of 30 days, is not
Any of the following
|100% market value
|Rate of premium
|For Non-IRDP-4 to 7% p.a. rabbits used for furs should be rated high. For IRDP & other scheme animals 2.75% p.a.
General Exclusions of Pet Insurance Plans
Though the pet insurance plans have come up with a sack full of benefits and facilities, it also has some exclusion. You need to know about these exclusions as well to avoid future complexities. The general exclusions are as follows.
- Willful or malicious injury to your pet.
- Any surgery that is done outside of illness or disease.
- Death due to Viral Hepatitis, Viral Enteritis, Leptospirosis, etc. unless critical or long-term additional cover is taken.
- Any surgery is necessitated related to grooming and pregnancy.
- Injury or illness arising out of neglect or unskilful handling of the pet.
- Any kind of cosmetic surgery.
- Illness that has been contracted prior to taking the policy.
- Any kind of dental surgery that is not done due to an accident or illness.
- Loss or injury due to war, foreign hostility, human unrest, terrorist activity revolution, rebellion, military upheaval, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
The important factors are as follows.
- Breed of the pet.
- Size or bodyweight
- Health condition and medical report of your pet.
- Vaccination history.
- Sum insured that you want to opt for.
- Additional benefits that you want to avail of.
It totally depends on the insurer and the type of plan you are opting for.
Yes, this plan offers pre and post-surgery expenses cover for 7 days and 15 days respectively, which is subject to several terms and conditions of the company.
The covered terminal diseases are as follows.
- All types of Cancer
- Kidney Failure
- Coagulation Disorders
- Cardiac Dysfunctions
The following group discounts are available under this particular policy:
- 3 to 5 dogs – 10% of the total premium.
- 6 and above numbers – 15% of the total premium.
No, any disease contracted within 15 days from the date of risk will not be covered under this policy.
The cost of identification is to be borne by the Insured only under the Oriental Dog Insurance policy.
Usually, partial and permanent disability of any nature, Rabies, Canine Distemper, and Leptospirosis are not covered under the Oriental Dog Insurance policy. These diseases can be covered if preventive inoculation is done and a certificate to that effect is submitted.
A veterinary certificate showing the following details is necessary for acceptance of risk:
( a ) Type of rabbits (pure/hybrid etc.)
( b ) Age
( c ) Identification
( d ) Details regarding housing, light, ventilation, temperature, insulation, floors, feeders, water, and sanitation
( e ) Vaccination particulars
( f ) Condition of health
( g ) Type of feed used and source
You can buy a pet insurance plan online by visiting the official website of the company. Or else, you can purchase it offline by visiting the official branch of the insurer or by contacting their customer service section.