While the world is moving towards digitalization and paperless work, India is not lagging behind. One of the stepping stones toward the digitalization of India in the healthcare sector is the introduction of the Digital Health ID Card for citizens of India, announced by PM Narendra Modi on September 27. It is a part of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) or National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) that is launched by the central government of India. This digital health ID card has revolutionized the healthcare system in the country. However, still, many of us are confused regarding this mission and the function of the digital health ID card. But your confusion ends here. In this article, we are going to talk about every detail that you need to know about this unique online health card.
What Is A Digital Health ID Card?
ABDM’s sole objective is to issue digital health ID cards for all citizens in the country that will help hospitals, insurance providers, and health ID cardholders to access health records online in a secure and safe environment. According to Prime Minister Modi, this program not only aims to digitalize medical treatment but also simplifies the treatment process and side by side, increases citizens’ standard of living. This digital health ID card will contain identifying medical data such as the health records of the cardholder. It has a unique 14-digit number that will be used for identifying the individuals, verifying them, and accessing their health records. Everything will be done only with the consent of the cardholders and this card comes totally free of cost.
Benefits Of Digital Health ID Card
This electronic health card has decreased human labor and errors and bought a huge change in the Indian medical system. Everyone should have access to this card. To know more about the benefits, have a look at the following mentions.
Handle Health Records Digitally – The moment you enter the hospital, this health card becomes active. It keeps the track record of your hospital admission, treatments, and discharge. All of these are done online, without any paperwork.
Personal Health Record (PHR) – This card gives you the facility to connect your PHR with it. This will help you to keep a record of your long-term medical history of yours without any hassle.
Get Access To Digi Doctors – With this card, you can get a hold of the facility to get connected to the verified Digi doctors in a secured environment. this facility is immensely helpful in the face of a medical emergency.
Works Only With Your Consent – The hospitals or other medical stakeholders can access your medical health records only after your consent. You can always manage and revoke the health information.
Secure and Protected – All the data in the digital health ID card is secured through strong security and encryption mechanisms. If someone wants to access your information, every time you will be asked for consent. So, your data is safe with this card.
You Can Opt-in and Opt Out Anytime – This electronic health card is not mandatory. It totally depends on you whether you will go for it or not. You can also deactivate the card at any time and request to delete your data.
Easy and Hassle-free – To register yourself for this card, you only require a few steps. And also, the mechanism of the card is pretty simple and smooth and that too paperless.
How Does National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) Work?
This mission is the brainchild of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare with the aim of providing the required assistance for the integration of digital health infrastructure in India. The digital health ID card that is linked to NDHM acts as a consent manager. Let us find out how this mission works.
- Your medical information will be provided to the concerned healthcare provider through a mobile app, along with the details of the doctors.
- All the information related to the medical treatment and health of the digital cardholder will be processed, recorded, and stored digitally.
- Even the medical documents such as x-rays reports, or any other pathological and diagnostic reports will be stored in the account of the cardholder for future reference.
- Doctors and the other relevant medical staff can have access to your medical records through the app only after getting your consent.
- Doctors can also register themselves as Digi doctors and get verified with the facility of their digital signatures.
- It is not mandatory. Anyone who is willing to have this facility can register himself/herself voluntarily.
How To Apply For A Digital Health Card Online?
You can apply for the health ID in three different ways – The health ID website, NDHM Health Records mobile app, and Participating health facilities (public/private hospitals, health and wellness centers, and community health centers. The registration for obtaining this card can also be done through the following process.
- Go to the official website of NDHM and select the Generate ID tab.
- After that, click on the Generate via Aadhaar option.
- You will be directed to a new page. on the landing page, you need to put your Aadhaar number, mobile number, or driving license correctly, and click on the Submit option.
- A One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your registered mobile number. Put the OTP in the correct place.
- Now, you need to fill the blanks with the required personal details. After that, choose a user name and password to create your digital ID.
- Now go to the portal again, and log in to your account with the newly created user name and password. Provide any other details, if necessary.
- Now, as your digital health card is ready, you can download it for future reference.
Documents required for digital health card registration
You do not have to submit any physical documents to apply for the digital health ID card. You need to provide any of the following IDs to generate your health ID.
- Aadhaar number
- Mobile number
- Driving Licence (for generating the enrolment number)
How To Deactivate A Digital Health Card?
As this digital health ID card is not mandatory, it also offers you the freedom to deactivate and reactive this card according to your convenience. Follow the below steps to delete or deactivate your card.
- Go to the official website of NDHM.
- Log in to your online portal with your health ID or PHR and your date of birth and click on the Submit option.
- After that, you are required to generate an OTP with your Aadhaar or mobile number. Or else, you can also use the password to log in to your account.
- Once you have successfully logged in to your portal, click on the My Account tab.
- Then, clock on the Deactivate/Delete Health ID. Remember, the deactivation of your health ID is temporary, and your account will not be closed. However, you can choose to delete the health ID.
- Now, click on the Continue option to delete or deactivate your health ID.
Frequently Asked Questions
PHR address is a self-declared username that is required to sign in to a Health Information Exchange and Consent Manage. You have the provision to generate the PHR address while signing up for the digital health ID.
HPR is a comprehensive digital storage facility that helps healthcare professionals get connected with patients. All the registered and verified medical practitioners can be found under this HPR.
As of now, you can use your PAN card and driving license for the registration of this electronic health card. However, as per the news, it will soon be ruled out.
Yes, you can generate multiple health IDs to link different sets of medical records. However, you should generate a single digital health ID.
It is a comprehensive digital storage facility of all healthcare facilities available in the country, including public and private health facilities such as diagnostic laboratories, clinics, hospitals, pharmacies, imaging centers, etc. The enrolment for this is not mandatory.