The prevalence of brain tumours is rapidly increasing in India. The nation reports an increasing number of cases of brain tumours across generations each year. Considering the fact that there is a significant rise in the costs of medical treatments in India, it is extremely vital to purchase a health insurance cover for a brain tumour. It will ensure that you do not find yourself in a debt-like situation in case of a medical emergency.
The good news is that the top health insurance providers in India offer health plans that include coverage for brain tumours. As a result, an insured person may be reimbursed for the costs associated with surgery to remove a tumour. Most health insurance policies may cover benign tumours as part of a critical illness coverage and provide the insured with a lump sum payment to cover expenses such as surgery, medications, and other related expenses if necessary.
Benefits Of Health Insurance Plans For Brain Tumour
In times of need, a health insurance plan is supported so that your medical care remains unaffected. The covered person can receive the appropriate care without having to worry, thanks to the much-needed financial assistance. Let’s have a look at some of the benefits of health insurance plans for brain tumours:
- Financial Support: When there is a medical emergency, especially when it requires critical illness treatment like brain tumour removal surgery, financial hardship is bound to occur. Your hard-earned money goes into the treatment in large amounts. However, all of this anxiety is unnecessary if you have a health plan that covers brain tumour, since you may remain composed and receive treatment.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Dealing with a critical health condition like a brain tumour requires considerable financial backup. The healthcare costs, including hospital stays, medicines, tests, chemotherapy, etc. can become a significant burden if you do not have comprehensive health insurance cover for a brain tumour. Therefore, by purchasing such a plan, you can get a wide range of medical expenses covered under just one plan.
- Tax Benefits: The majority of health insurance policies enable covered people to take advantage of Section 80D of the Income Tax Act tax benefits. As a result, it enables the insured person to pay less in premiums. You may deduct up to Rs. 25,000 in taxes for payments made for medical insurance premiums. For senior persons, this reduction is worth Rs. 50,000.
- Income Replacement: When an individual is struggling with a life-threatening disease like a brain tumour, they may not be physically fit to work. This may lead to the loss of their job, which means they will not receive a steady source of income. In such a situation, a health insurance cover for brain tumours acts as a savior to reduce significant financial distress. The policyholder can use the coverage as a replacement for his/her lost income and assist him/her in meeting the financial obligations.
Top 5 Health Insurance Plans For Brain Tumour
Here is the list of top 5 health insurance plans for the brain tumour that can help you well in case of medical exigency:
1. Bajaj Finserv Benign Brain Tumour Cover
The Baja Finserv Benign Brain Tumour Cover is specifically designed to cover the treatment of non-cancerous brain tumour, which usually costs higher and have a lengthy recovery time. With the help of this cover, you can find yourself away from the worries of managing the treatment expenses of a benign brain tumour.
- Lower Premiums: As compared to other health insurance plans, the Brain Tumour Cover from Bajaj Finserv offers lower premiums for its customers. In this manner, it provides comprehensive coverage to the policyholder without breaking his/her bank.
- Covers Hospitalization Expenses: The Benign Brain Tumour Cover from Bajaj Finserv provides coverage for the in-patient care expenses, pre-hospitalization expenses, and post-hospitalization expenses. This policy is applicable only after a diagnosis is confirmed by a specialized doctor.
- Covers Ambulance Expenses: The cover also offers coverage for ambulance expenses for up to Rs. 2000.
- Covers Diagnostic Tests: Having a benign brain tumour requires several diagnostic tests for the treatment to go well. The coverage also covers the expenses related to diagnostic tests during or before the hospitalization period.
|Sum Insured||Up To Rs. 3 Lakhs|
|Policy Duration||1 Year|
|Premium||Up To Rs. 684|
2. HDFC ERGO Critical Illness Insurance
HDFC ERGO Critical Illness Insurance covers critical illnesses, such as brain tumours so that you are assisted in covering medical expenses for treating such illnesses. With the help of this plan, your family members can stand together for you instead of being tangled in managing funds for your treatment.
- Monetary Support: The cover provides financial assistance to your family in the event that you have a loss of income while receiving treatment for a brain tumour. After a 30-day survival period, the lump sum payment is made in a single transaction at the first diagnosis. This one-time payment can be used for care and treatment, recovery aids, debt repayment, or to cover any lost income.
- No Medical Check-Ups: If your age is up to 45 years, you need not worry about undergoing any kind of medical check-ups.
- Comprehensive Plans: Under the critical illness insurance of HDFC ERGO, two-wide ranging plans are available to the policyholder, which can be chosen as per the requirements and budget.
- Lifetime Renewability: The policy also offers the option of lifetime renewability to the policyholder.
|Minimum Entry Age||5 Years|
|Maximum Entry Age||65 Years|
|Survival Period||30 Days|
|Waiting Period||90 Days|
3. Kotak Health Shield
Kotak Health Shield is a non-linked, non-participating, and fixed benefit health insurance plan that covers early or major stage illnesses, such as brain tumours, cardiac conditions, liver illnesses, etc. This plan can also provide cash protection against an unpleasant circumstance brought on by an accident.
- Option To Enhance Coverage: The plan provides the policyholder with various options to enhance the coverage. You can have daily hospitalization cash benefit, income benefit on being diagnosed with major illnesses, and waiver of premium benefit on being diagnosed with minor illnesses.
- Inbuilt Wellness Benefit: The plan also offers various inbuilt wellness benefits for your safety, such as medical monitoring, second medical opinion, medical repatriation, compassionate visit, and emergency medical evacuation.
- Multiple Premium Payment Modes: The policyholder can either choose regular pay or single pay as a premium payment mode.
- Benefits Payable: If you have an early-stage brain tumour, you will receive 25% of the sum assured; whereas, if you have a major-stage brain tumour, you will receive 100% of the sum assured as a payable benefit.
|Entry Age||18 To 65 Years|
|Policy Term||5 To 40 Years|
|Sum Assured||Rs. 10 Lakhs To Rs. 50 Lakhs|
4. Care Insurance Critical Illness Plan
Care Insurance Critical Illness Plan is designed to offer financial assistance to the policyholder in case he/she is diagnosed with an acute disease, such as a brain tumour, catastrophic burns, etc. The policy pays a lump sum amount to the policyholder, which can be used by the insured to pay his/her medical bills and meet other financial needs.
- Affordable Premium: The Care Insurance Critical Illness Plan is available at an affordable premium rate so that you can prepare for health emergencies without putting a burden on your current financial condition.
- EMI Payment Options: The plan also offers EMI payment options to the policyholder for reducing the burden of paying premium amounts in bulk.
- Lifelong Renewability: The plan comes with the option of lifetime renewability, which means you can protect yourself against life-threatening diseases like brain tumour for your whole life.
|Minimum Entry Age||91 Days To 4 Years|
|Waiting Period||90 Days|
|Policy Period||Long-Term Policy|
5. Star Criticare Plus Plan
Aiming to reimburse hospitalisation costs incurred due to illness, disease, sickness, and/or accidental injuries, Star Criticare Plus Insurance from Star Health also offers a lump sum in the event that the insured person receives a diagnosis of a major illness as listed in the policy for the first time during the policy period.
- Lump-Sum Payment Benefit: After a 90-day waiting period, this policy offers lump-sum benefits upon the initial diagnosis of a serious disease.
- Pre- & Post-Hospitalization Expenses: For a maximum of 30 days prior to admission, related pre-hospitalization costs are covered by the Star Criticare Insurance Policy. Additionally, it covers lump-sum payments for post-hospitalization costs up to 7% of the hospital stay (excluding room rates), up to a maximum of Rs 5000.
- Emergency Ambulance Expenses: Having a brain tumour can arise situations when the insured might need to transport to the hospital in an emergency. The coverage pays up to Rs 750 in ambulance fees for each hospitalisation, with a maximum of Rs 1500 per policy year, for emergency transportation to the hospital.
- Lifelong Renewal Option: The option to renew this policy forever is provided. The insured can continue to get benefits, such as a shorter waiting period for PED coverage, if he renews the policy by the deadline. Renewal of the coverage is permitted for a grace period of 30 days. An insured might take advantage of the continuity benefits by timely renewing their insurance.
|Entry Age||18-65 Years|
|Policy Term||1 Year|
|Sum Insured||Rs. 2 Lakhs, Rs. 3 Lakhs, Rs. 4 Lakhs, Rs. 5 Lakhs, Rs. 10 Lakhs|
Waiting Period Under Brain Tumour Health Cover
Most health insurance policies has waiting periods before the insured can claim coverage for a specific ailment, such as a brain tumour. Therefore, the insurer will deny the insured’s brain tumour claim if it is submitted before the waiting time has expired.
There is often a 30-day initial waiting period with health insurance. In addition, there may be a 90-day waiting period under critical illness insurance before the insured can submit a claim for reimbursement of the costs associated with a brain tumour surgery. A 30-day survival period may also be imposed under critical illness insurance. If the insured person passes away within such a time, the insurer will not provide any compensation.
The Bottom Line
As has already been mentioned, a brain tumour is a serious condition that needs to be properly managed. Without extreme care, the patient’s condition could worsen as a result of catastrophic brain damage. Surgery can be used to remove the tumour if it is found early on.
However, since the procedure is expensive, it’s crucial to have a comprehensive health insurance cover for brain tumour, so that you can have financial assistance in such conditions. By doing this, you can guarantee that you acquire the best health insurance plan that will protect the covered individuals from serious illnesses.