If an individual knows how to drive, that does not mean he can bring his vehicle on the road legally. For that, he needs a valid driving license.
A driving license is a certified legal document that entitles the holder to drive various motor vehicles on public roads, including highways. However, a permanent driving license cannot be received immediately. Anyone who wishes to drive his vehicle on Indian roads has to get his/her learning license first.
Although obtaining a permanent license is an easy process, it takes time. This article will offer a thorough explanation of the application process for a driver’s license and other details associated with it.
Types Of Driving License In India
There are four types of driving licenses in India. They are as discussed below:
- Learning License: If an individual wants to have a commercial or permanent license, he cannot apply for one right away. He will need to apply for a learning license in both cases.
This type of license has a six-month validity period from the date of issuance, and the individual has the option of applying for a permanent license 30 days after the temporary one expires or one month after that.
- Permanent License: This kind of license is designed for people who want to drive for personal purposes, such as dropping off or picking up the kids from school or going grocery shopping. If an individual has a permanent driving license, he can drive anywhere in the nation with the exception of commercial vehicles.
- Commercial License: A commercial license allows individuals to carry passengers in Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle (HPMV) or move goods using Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV), Light Goods Vehicle (LGV), or Medium Goods Vehicle (MGV). From the date of issuance, this license remains in effect for three years.
- International Driving Permit: If an individual has an international driving permit, he/she can operate a vehicle in a foreign country. For the authorities to comprehend that the driver is permitted to drive on their territory, this document is printed in a variety of languages. The permit has a one-year expiration date, cannot be renewed, and must be applied for afresh.
Application Process For Driving License In India
An individual can apply for a driving license in India either through an online or offline method. Both of them are discussed below.
- Go to the homepage of the Saarthi website. (https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in).
- On the right-hand side of the page, click “Driving License Service”.
- A new page will be shown on the screen. Now select the state from where the service is to be taken.
- Now the applicant will be redirected to the services page where a number of services will be displayed on the screen. Select “Apply for Driving License”.
- The next page will show some instructions for application submission. Press “Continue” to proceed.
- Now fill in some applicant details, including the learner’s license number and date of birth, and then press “Ok”.
- The next page will ask the applicant to upload some important documents. After uploading them, the applicant may also be required to upload his/her photo and signature (applicable for only some states).
- Next, the applicant is required to book his/her DL Test Slot. The applicant can select the date and time of the test as per his/her convenience. This step applies only to some states.
- Pay for the application process and verify the payment status. After this step, the application process for a driving license will be completed and a notification will be sent via text message.
Once the applicant clears the driving test, he/she will receive a driving license through a speed post.
- The applicant is required to get the application form, which is the form for an Indian driving license (Form 1 for Learner License and Form 4 for Permanent License). The form can be obtained locally at the RTO office or online at the state transportation website.
- The individual now needs to complete the paperwork and submit it, together with identification proving the applicant’s age and address, to the RTO office in the nearby area. He/she needs to ask the RTO representatives for a date for his/her driving license test and pay the necessary fees.
- Now the applicant needs to show up at the testing site. In case he/she passes the test, his/her driver’s license will be delivered to his/her registered address.
Documents Required For Applying For A Driving License In India
The required documentation must be valid and accurate in order to prevent delays in the application process. The following lists of documents are necessary to obtain a driving license:
- Age proof (the applicant has to submit any one of the following documents as age proof):
- Birth Certificate
- PAN card
- 10th class mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from any school with DOB printed on it
- Address proof
- Self-owned house agreement
- Aadhaar card
- Electricity bill (issued in the applicant’s name)
- LIC bond
- Voters ID card
- Ration card
- Other documents
- Duly filled application form
- 1 passport-size photograph for a permanent driving license
- 6 passport-size photographs for learning license
- Medical certificate (Form 1A and 1), which needs to be issued by a certified doctor. For applicants over 40 years of age, a medical certificate is compulsory.
Eligibility Criteria For Driving License In India
The eligibility criteria for obtaining a driving license are as follows:
|Types Of Vehicles
|A vehicle without any gears
|Under the age of 18 years with parental consent
|Vehicle with gears
|18 years of age
|Transport or commercial vehicles
|20 years of age
The Bottom Line
For any novice driver, receiving a driver’s license is one of the most important achievements. It grants him the right to operate a vehicle on Indian roads and take pleasure in the freedom to drive at his own pace.
However, one needs to obtain a learner’s permit before becoming qualified for a permanent driving permit. An individual will acquire his/her driving license and gain road legality once he/she passes a driving test at the RTO or a licensed driving school. Hope this article has provided a full understanding of how to apply for a driving license in India.