If you wish to continue operating your two-wheeler or four-wheeler in any area of Chennai, having a driving licence is crucial. Before operating a car on the road, you must have one, according to the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. When applying for their driver’s licence, applicants for a transport vehicle must also provide their medical fitness certificate. Also, those over 50 must provide a fitness certificate while applying for the position.
Here is a detailed guide that will assist you if you live in Chennai and want to apply for a driving licence or use any other related service.
Eligibility Criteria To Get a Driving License in Chennai
The following qualifications must be satisfied by the applicant to be granted a driving licence in Chennai:
- The minimum age requirement to operate a motorcycle without gear is sixteen (16).
- To operate a light motor vehicle or a motor vehicle with gear, the candidate must be at least 18 years old.
- The minimum age requirement to operate a heavy motor vehicle is 20 years old.
- The candidate must first get a learner’s permit before applying for a permanent driving licence.
- It is important to be familiar with all traffic laws and regulations.
- The applicant can apply for a permanent DL after 30 days or 180 days from the date he was issued the learner’s license.
Types of Driving Licenses in Chennai
In Chennai, you can apply to obtain one of the various forms of driving licences.
- A driving licence for two-wheelers without gears is given to applicants who desire to operate mopeds or other two-wheelers without gears.
- Another one is driving Licence for 2- or 4-wheelers with gear (Light Motor Vehicles). Candidates for cars or bikes are awarded this sort of DL.
- This driving licence is given out for transport vehicles including taxis, private service vehicles, lorries, trucks, or trailers.
RTO Fees Charged in Chennai
Let’s take a look at the following table for DL fees in Chennai.
|Service||Fee (in Rs.)|
|Learner’s license test fee or repeat test fee, as the case may be||50/-|
|Issue of a driving license.||200/-|
|Issue of International Driving Permit.||1000/-|
|Renewal of a driving license||200/-|
|Renewal of driving license for which application is made after the grace period.||300/-|
|Any application for change in address or any other particulars recorded in the driving license e.g., address, etc.||200/-|
How To Apply for a Driving License in Chennai?
Processing the application with the RTO is the initial step in getting a driving licence in Chennai. The applicant has the option of offline or online application processing.
Visit the official parivahan website.
- Click on online services, then select services about driving licenses.
- Click on your state’s name.
- Next, select “Apply Online” for a new driver’s licence.
- Complete the applicant’s information
- Make the payment online and upload the form and your signature.
- Reserve a DL slot for your exam.
- If you are unable to complete the aforementioned process online, visit the RTO with the completed form and submit the required paperwork and money there. Reserve a time window for your DL at the RTO as well.
- Pass the driver’s test.
- The DL will be delivered to you at your door if you pass the test.
Drop by your neighbourhood RTO office
- Pick up the application form in person or download it online from the website of the Commissionerate of Transport and Road Safety.
- Send the form and the required documentation.
- Schedule your DL exam in advance.
- Show up for the driving test at the scheduled time and date.
- If you pass the test, you will receive a driver’s license.
Documents required to apply for a driving license in Chennai
In Chennai, the following paperwork is needed to apply for a driving licence:
- A properly completed application
- A valid learner’s permit
- Address validation
- Age verification
- A set of passport-sized pictures of the applicant
Application for a Duplicate Driving License in Chennai
If the original licence is misplaced, stolen, or damaged, a backup licence is required. However, the applicant cannot request a duplicate licence if the original has been seized or rendered invalid.
- The RTO officer in the region must receive the application for a duplicate licence in person.
- For the procedure, an application fee must be paid with the application form.
- Preferably, the replacement request should be submitted as soon as the card is lost. If more than six months pass between the loss and the application, the application must be sent to the transport department’s headquarters, which could take some time since an investigation is necessary.
Note: Some of the documents that you will need include an application form, passport-sized photo, and driving license number.
Application Procedure to Get an International Driving License in Chennai
You can go to the nearby RTO and provide the necessary information to obtain an IDL. Although the RTO will request the previously specified documents, IDL will always be used in conjunction with an original driving licence.
- Completed and signed form 4A of the IDL application. You can get the form at parivahan.gov.in online.
- A copy of a current driver’s licence.
- A receipt for Rs. 1000 in fees.
- Verification of identity and address.
- Two passport-sized photos.
- A doctor’s certificate.
- Airline Ticket Preferably.
Know The Renewal Process Of Permanent Driving License In Chennai
Licenses that have expired must be renewed within 30 days after the expiration date.
- The licence holder must apply for renewal.
- If the applicant is rejected, his driving privileges cannot be renewed.
- The renewal must be completed within five years of the expiration date.
- The candidate will need to retake the driving test if more than five years have passed.
Frequently Asked Questions
It may take up to one month for a permanent driver’s licence to arrive at your registered address.
You can indeed pick up your driver’s license from the regional transport office.
No, to operate geared bikes and four-wheelers, you must possess a light motor vehicle driving licence.
A Chennai-issued renewed driver’s license is good for five years.
You will need to fill out the information on your DL application form, like your name, age, the sort of vehicle you drive, your date of birth, etc.