Delhi, being a hub of several multinationals and a center of various government offices, faces chock-full roads almost every day. Though driving in Delhi is an inescapable activity, the fact contributes to huge traffic congestion. Therefore, Delhi has some strong traffic rules and regulations that can avoid various kinds of mishappenings on roads.
Moreover, as accidents involving people driving without a license have increased over time, the Delhi government has implemented stringent sanctions and punishments for those who do so. Also, if the driver operates a motor vehicle without a valid driver’s license, he cannot file an insurance claim in the event of an accident.
In case you are living in Delhi and wish to procure a driving license in an easy manner, this guide will prove helpful.
Eligibility Criteria For Getting A Driving License In Delhi
For applying for a driving license in Delhi, the applicant needs to follow the below-mentioned criteria:
- The candidate must be at least 18 years old.
- A learner’s permit is required before applying for a permanent driver’s license.
- After 30 days and within 180 days of the learner’s license’s issue, the applicant must submit an application for a driver’s license.
- Candidates must be familiar with all applicable traffic laws and regulations.
Types Of Driving License In Delhi
Driving licenses in Delhi can be majorly categorized as two: temporary and permanent.
- Temporary License: With this provisional license, the learners are permitted to practice and learn to drive. Its six-month validity period is more than enough time for a person to improve their driving abilities and pass the competency test. Before taking the practical, the learner must practice for at least a month.
- Permanent License: In case the learner clears the driving competency test, which comprises a road test and a ground test, he/she is eligible for a permanent license.
Moreover, Delhi offers driving licenses on the basis of vehicle types as mentioned below:
- Light Motor Transport Vehicles: The drivers of commercial goods carriers and transport vehicles that operate this license qualify to operate light motor vehicles such as taxis, delivery cars, jeeps, and auto rickshaws.
- Medium Passenger Vehicles: Vehicles in this category include minivans, passenger tempos, and bigger commercial trucks.
- Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicles: Buses, road rollers, and other vehicles used for commercial purposes and passenger transportation fall under this category.
- Medium Goods Vehicle: This category includes trucks and tempos for the transportation of goods.
- Heavy Goods Vehicle: Large vans and trucks used to transport cargo fall under this category.
- Two-Wheeler Without Gears: It includes vehicles like scooters or mopeds.
- Two-Wheeler With Gears: It includes two-wheelers that have gears like a bike, etc.
RTO Fees Charged In Delhi
RTO (Regional Transport Office) charges, also known as road taxes are calculated based on a number of variables, such as the vehicle type usage, load factor for goods-carrying vehicles, seating capacity for commercial passenger vehicles, making model, engine power, etc. Given below is detailed information about the RTO charges levied by the Delhi government.
For Two-Wheelers (Private):
|Type Of Passenger Vehicle||Applicable Fees|
|Motorcycle below 50cc||Rs. 650|
|Motorcycle & scooter above 50 cc||Rs. 1220|
|Motorcycle with sewing trailer||Rs. 1525 + Rs. 465|
For Four-Wheelers (Private):
|Type Of Passenger Vehicle||Applicable Tax|
|Cars below 1000 kg||Rs. 3815|
|Cars more than 1000 kg but less than 1500 kg||Rs. 4880|
|Motorcars more than 1500 kg but less than 2000 kg||Rs. 7020|
|Motorcars of more than 2000 kg||Rs. 7,020 + Rs. 4570 + @ 2000 for every 1000 kg additional|
For Commercial Passenger Vehicles
|Type Of Passenger Vehicles||Amount In Rs./Year|
|Not more than 2 excluding the driver||305.00|
|More than 2 & up to 4 exc. driver & conductor||605.00|
|More than 4 & up to 6 exc. driver & conductor||1,130.00|
|More than 6 & up to18 exc. driver & conductor.||1,915.00|
|More than 18 & above exc. driver & conductor.||1,915.00 + @ 280/- per passenger|
For Commercial Goods Vehicles
|Loading Capacity Of Goods Vehicle||Applicable Tax/Year|
|Less than 1 tonne||Rs. 665|
|More than 1 tonne but less than 2 tonnes||Rs. 940|
|More than 2 tonnes but less than 4 tonnes||Rs. 1430|
|More than 4 tonnes but less than 6 tonnes||Rs. 1915|
|More than 6 tonnes but less than 8 tonnes||Rs. 2375|
|More than 8 tonnes but less than 9 tonnes||Rs. 2865|
|More than 9 tonnes but less than 10 tonnes||Rs. 3320|
|More than 10 tonnes and above||Rs. 3790 + Rs. 470 per tonne|
|More than 10 tonnes + less than 2 tonnes of the trailer||Rs. 3790 + Rs. 470 per tonne + Rs. 465|
|More than 10 tonnes + more than 2 tonnes of the trailer||Rs. 3790 + Rs. 470 per tonne + Rs. 925|
For Auto Rickshaw: Rs. 305 Per Annum
For Taxi Owners: Rs. 605 Per Annum
- The trailer’s road tax is only charged when it is towed by the correspondingly registered car.
- A further 25% of the applicable tax must be paid in the case of diesel-powered vehicles.
Application Procedure For A Driving License In Delhi
Technology has made the procedure of getting a driving license in Delhi much simpler. Both offline and online processes can be used to apply for a driving license in Delhi.
- Visit the official website of the Delhi government for transportation: www.delhi.gov.in.
- On the home page, several sections will be displayed under the “Departments List”. Select “Driving License” under the “Transport” section.
- The individual will then be directed to an external site, where he needs to click on “ONLINE APPOINTMENT AND PAYMENT FOR ISSUANCE OF DRIVING LICENCE”.
- A new page will appear where the individual needs to select the state from which the service is to be taken. For example, we need to apply for a driving license in Delhi, so select “Delhi”.
- Now select “Apply For Driving License”.
- Fill in the applicant details, such as learner’s license number, date of birth, and so on, and then press “OK”.
- Upload all the necessary documents along with the applicant’s photo and signature (if required).
- An application number will then be given to the applicant, which he must present when taking the test.
- The applicant may now schedule his driving test online and pay the application fees there as well.
- After that, he must go to the RTO where he has to submit his DL application.
- A motor vehicle inspector will be present during his driving license exam to make the decision of whether or not to award a DL.
- The applicant’s biometrics will be saved and photographs will be taken if he passes the test.
- At last, the applicant’s driving license will be delivered by post to his registered address.
Note: A few RTOs in Delhi also permit you to pick up your driver’s license the same day that you take the exam.
The procedure to apply for a driving license in Delhi is as follows:
- The applicant first needs to get form 4 by going to the RTO in his jurisdiction.
- Complete the form and send it in with the necessary documentation.
- Schedule a time for the driving test. The applicant will need to bring his car to the exam.
- The applicant will have his fingerprints and photo taken if he passes the driving test.
- If the RTO office has it in stock, the driver’s license will be mailed to the applicant’s registered address. If not, the applicant can alternatively pick it up that day from the RTO office.
Documents Required For Applying For A Driving License In Delhi
Here is a list of documents needed for applying for a driving license in Delhi:
- Form no. 4
- Passport size photographs
- Driving certificate form 5, 14, and 15 (in case of transport vehicles)
- Address proof (any one of the following documents)
- Ration card
- Voter’s ID
- LIC policy bond (that is 6 months old)
- Age proof (any one of the following documents)
- Educational certificate
- Birth certificate
- Attested copy of the passport
How To Apply For A Duplicate Driving License In Delhi?
One can simply apply for a duplicate driving license in Delhi if the original has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
Procedure For Applying For A Duplicate DL In Delhi
The applicant must fill out the form and send it to the RTO together with the necessary paperwork. The applicant will receive the duplicate DL within a few days of the documents being verified.
Note: If the license is misplaced or destroyed, the applicant must notify the licensing authorities in writing and reapply for the license. The applicant will need to receive special authorization from the transport department headquarters if he has not applied for a duplicate driver’s license within six months of the date of loss.
Documents Needed For Applying For A Duplicate DL In Delhi
- Form 1
- Application form LLD
- FIR (in case of lost driving license)
- Challan clearance report issued by the Delhi Traffic Police
- Self-attested copy of the valid driving license.
How To Receive An International Driving License In Delhi?
Various RTO zonal offices in Delhi typically issue international driving licenses, which are good for 12 months. The applicant will need his driver’s license, which he has got in his home country. In addition, he must submit the documentation listed below when he applies for an overseas driving permit.
- Application form 4A
- Passport and visa
- Copy of valid driving license
- Form 1A i.e., medical certificate
- 4 copies of passport-size photographs
- Age and address proof
The applicant must present the aforementioned paperwork to the RTO office, and he can anticipate receiving the IDP three days after submitting his application.
How To Renew A Permanent Driving License In Delhi?
Once granted, the permanent license remains in effect for 20 years, or until the applicant becomes 50, whichever comes first. A grace period of 30 days is provided for the renewal of a permanent DL after it has expired. A driver’s license applicant can go to the nearby zonal office to renew their license.
The application must be submitted to the nearby zonal office together with the necessary paperwork. The applicant will then receive a renewed driver’s license following document verification.
Documents Required For Renewing Permanent Driving License In Delhi
- Application form 9
- Original driving license
- 2 passport-size photographs
- Self-attested copies of age and address proof
- Form 1 A (if the applicant is above 40 years)
- Driving refreshing training certificate (for transport vehicles)
- Short period re-fresher training course (for all commercial vehicles)
Frequently Asked Questions
It is not required. But because they typically teach in vehicles with dual controls, it is essential that you learn from a licensed instructor for safety reasons.
In addition to your skill to drive, which is obviously expected, you will also be evaluated on your skill to control your car in a congested and crowded environment. Your ability to comprehend traffic signs, vehicle system indications, papers that must be kept in the vehicle, rules, etc. is tested in the theoretical portion of the exam.
Only those who hold a heavy motor vehicle (HMV) license will need it.
The vehicle’s “L” sign board indicates that the driver has a learner’s permit. An “L” sign board serves as a caution to other drivers that this person is still learning how to drive.
Road tax for private vehicles is paid at the relevant zonal registration office when the vehicle is registered. A single payment must be made.
Road tax for commercial vehicles, on the other hand, must be paid yearly. You can deposit it at the account branch at the Transport Department Head Office, 5/9 Under Hill Road, Delhi-110054.