A driving license issued by the Regional Transport Office is responsible for providing various transport-related services in India. The city of Kolkata also has a Regional Transport Office that looks after building a safe and effective public transport system. In the city of Kolkata, if an individual wants to drive a motor vehicle, then he/she will first have to obtain a driving license that gives him the freedom to drive his vehicle on Indian roads. A driving license is an official document issued by the Kolkata RTO as per the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. A driving license in Kolkata is issued after an individual passes the driving license test on submission of various documents. Therefore, here is detailed information about how to get a driving license in Kolkata.
Eligibility Criteria For Obtaining a Diving License in Kolkata
Below are the conditions one needs to satisfy to apply for a driving license in Kolkata
- He or she must be 16 years of age or more for using a 2-wheeler with an engine less than 50cc in size.
- He or she must be 18 years of age or more to use a 2-wheeler with an engine of the size of 50cc or more.
- He or she must be 20 years of age or more to use a commercial vehicle.
- He or she must be aware of all traffic rules and regulations.
- Application for a Kolkata driving license can be made after 30 days or 180 days from the date of issuance of the learning license.
Types of Driving Licenses in Kolkata
Driving licenses are classified into three major categories:
- Driving license for a Light Motor Vehicle, which includes all motorized two-wheelers with engines larger than 50cc and all motorized four-wheelers.
- Driving license for an automated two-wheeler with an engine less than 50cc.
- Commercial driving license.
RTO Driving License Fees in Kolkata
Kolkata has 7 RTO offices, all of which charge a fixed fee for their services. The details are given below:
|Types of license-related issues||Fees|
|Learner’s license||Rs. 200|
|Learner’s license renewal||Rs. 200|
|International driver’s license||Rs. 1000|
|Driving license fees||Rs. 200|
|Driver’s license test||Rs. 300|
|Driver’s license renewal||Rs. 200|
|Renewal and issue of license for driving schools||Rs. 10000|
|Issue of renewed driver’s license||Rs. 200|
|Appeal fee against RTO||Rs. 500|
|Issue of duplicate license for driving schools||Rs. 5000|
How To Apply For a Driving License in Kolkata?
There are two ways one can apply for a Driving License in Kolkata: online and offline. An applicant can opt for whichever method is convenient for him/her. This section highlights the process of the Kolkata Driving Licence application procedure.
One can follow these steps to submit the DL application online in Kolkata.
- Log into the Parivahan website.
- Navigate to the “DL Services” menu, select the state of residence (West Bengal), and select the “Apply for Learner’s Licence” option.
- Provide the required information, upload the documents, and pay the applicable fees.
- Schedule an appointment for the Learner’s License test.
- Undergo the test and collect the Learner’s Licence once he/she clears the test.
- Visit the Parivahan portal and select the “Apply for DL” option from the DL Services section.
- Provide the required details and upload the relevant documents.
- Schedule an appointment for the driving test after a month from the date the applicant receives the LL.
- Pay the applicable fees and download the online application.
- Appear for the driving test, if he/she clears the test, the RTO will issue the candidate’s Driving Licence. It will be sent via post.
Here is the process to obtain a DL via the offline method in Kolkata.
- Go to the respective RTO and collect the LL application form. One can also download it through the Parivahan website.
- Fill out the form with the required information and compile the relevant documents.
- Visit the RTO and submit the form and the required documents.
- Pay the LL fees, collect the fee payment receipt, and schedule a slot for the test.
- Undertake the test and receive the Learner’s Licence after clearing the test.
- Schedule an appointment for the driving test after 30 days from the date he/she receives the LL.
- Appear and clear the driving test.
- Post driving test clearance, the RTO will dispatch the Driving Licence to the residential address of the candidate via post.
The applicant will need the following documents to present to the Road Transport Authority in Kolkata. He will verify these documents and consequently approve your license.
- Driving Licence Application form-4 is available both online and offline.
- 6 passport-size photographs for learner’s license and 1 for permanent DL.
- Address Proof like ration card, voter’s id, copy of passport, or LIC policy that may be older than 6 months at least.
- Age Proof-like educational certificate, birth certificate, or 10th-class mark sheet.
- Copy of valid learner’s license.
- Copy of PAN card.
- Receipt of the payment fees.
Steps To Check Driving License Application Status Online in Kolkata
Through the State Transport Department website:
One can check the status of the DL application online in Kolkata through either of the two available options. One of these is to check the status on the official website of the State Transport Department of West Bengal, while the other is to check it on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway website. Given below are the steps one needs to follow to verify the status through the first method-
- Visit the website of the Transport Department of Kolkata.
- Click on the ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- A new page will load, in which click on ‘Know your application status.’
- Enter the application number.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button, and you will be shown the status of your application.
Through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
In order to verify the driving license application using the second available method, the below-given process needs to be followed –
- Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Click on ‘Driving license-related services.’
- Select the state (Here West Bengal).
- Click on the ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads.
- Provide the specific application number and DOB.
- Fill in the correct captcha code.
- The status of the driving license will reflect on the screen.
Driving Test Procedures in Kolkata
One must clear the driving test to be eligible to possess a Driving Licence. Hence, knowing the driving test process is crucial. Here is the process.
Driving Test For Four-Wheelers:
The candidate needs to clear two types of tests if he/she drives a four-wheeler: ground and road tests.
The applicant needs to drive the vehicle in a “U” and “T” pattern tracks to clear the ground test.
He/she has to drive the vehicle on public roads to clear the road test.
An RTO inspector will supervise and evaluate the test.
If the RTO official is unsatisfied with the driving skills, the candidate can take a retest after 7 days.
Driving Test for Two/three-Wheelers:
If the applicant rides/drives a two/three-wheeler, there are two types of tests: ground and road tests.
He/she must ride/drive the vehicle in “8” and “T” pattern tracks to clear the ground test.
The candidate has to ride/drive the vehicle on public roads to clear the road tests.
If he/she fails the test, he/she can apply for a retest after a week.
How To Get a Duplicate Driving License in Kolkata?
The Driving Licence is a physical document, and the chances of it getting lost or damaged are high. That’s why the RTO provides a duplicate copy of the DL if needed. If the person is in a situation where the original DL is lost or damaged, the following steps will help him/her with the process of getting a duplicate DL in Kolkata.
- To get a duplicate driving license in Kolkata, an applicant has to make an application for the same at the nearest RTO office. The applicant can make an application online through the official website of Parivahan.
- Print/download the online application.
- Submit the online application along with the relevant documents to the RTO.
- The RTO will issue the duplicate DL after thoroughly verifying the application and documents.
- It is to be noted that one must apply for a duplicate DL within 6 months of the loss or theft of the original Driving Licence.
- Form 2 (Duplicate DL application form)
- Copy of FIR and affidavit if the DL is lost or stolen.
- Challan clearance report from the Traffic Police Department of Kolkata
- Original DL (If damaged and available)
- Photocopy of the DL (If available)
- Address and age proof for reference.
How To Get an International Driving Permit in Kolkata?
Countries that have signed the 1949 Geneva Convention recognize the validity of a driving license issued in Kolkata. An international driving license is issued to an individual who wishes to drive a motor vehicle abroad. On meeting the eligibility criteria and submission of a few documents, the international driving permit is issued to an applicant in Kolkata. One can follow the following steps to obtain an IDP in Kolkata.
- Go to the official website of the Parivahan portal.
- Select the “DL Services” tab by navigating to the “Online Services” section.
- Select the city name “Kolkata” and click on the “Apply for IDP” option.
- Provide the permanent DL number and date of birth, enter the captcha code, and click on the “Get DL Details” option.
- Follow the instructions on the following page and submit the application.
- Note the application number and print/download the online application.
- Submit the application to the RTO and complete the verification procedures. After document verification, the RTO will issue the International Driving Permit.
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate)
- Form 4A (Application form for IDP)
- Copy of your Driving Licence
- Copy of Passport and Visa
- Copy of air ticket for verification
- Passport-size photographs (4 copies).
RTO Offices and Codes in Kolkata?
Here are a few mentions of RTO offices in Kolkata where one can apply for a Driving Licence.
|RTO office||RTO code||Address|
|Beltala||WB-01, WB-02, WB-03, WB-04||Beltala Road, Garcha, Bhowanipore, Kolkata, West-Bengal – 700020|
|Kasba||WB-05, WB-06||Sector C, East Kolkata Twp, Kolkata, West Bengal – 700107|
|Saltlake||WB-07, WB-08||CM Block, Sector V, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, West-Bengal – 700020|
Frequently Asked Questions
If your Learner’s License has expired, you can renew it and apply for a driving test to get the Driving Licence.
The RTO cannot issue the DL if you fail the driving test. You can apply for a retest after 7 days in such a scenario.
An international driving license issued in Kolkata is valid for a period of 1 year.
Here are the steps to renew your DL in Kolkata.
- Apply for the Driving Licence renewal online via the Parivahan portal and print or download the online application.
- Submit the online application to the RTO and update the details as applicable.
- The RTO will verify your documents and issue the renewed Driving Licence via post.
- Copy of expired driver’s license.
- Medical certificate if the driver is more than 40 years.
- Application form 9.
- 2 passport-size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fees of Rs.250/- and receipt.
- Form 1 and Form 1A for medical fitness if your age is above 50 years.
You must plan and get the license renewal well in time. In general, a driving license is valid for 20 years or up to 50 years of age, whichever is earlier. A Driving Licence issued for a commercial vehicle is valid for 3 years.
A commercial driving license issued in Kolkata is issued for a period of 3 years.
There are a few things that can increase your chances of getting a Driving Licence. Keep in mind these things when you appear for the test.
- You will have to drive a motor vehicle on an ‘S’ or ‘H’ shaped track depending on the type of vehicle you want to drive. So, it will be wise if you practice it well.
- Appear for the driving test with confidence.
- Do not give the test when you are under the effect of alcohol.
- Be aware of the traffic signals.
- Using side mirrors and indicators will always help.
- Make sure you press the gears smoothly and that the vehicle does not turn off in the middle of the test when you are driving.
You can apply for a permanent driving license 30 days after the date of issue of a learner’s license.