As defined by the Motor Vehicle Act 1988, holding a valid driving license is mandatory to legally use a vehicle on public streets. Mumbai is a metropolitan city in India where the headcounts are uncountable and so are the number of vehicles running on the road. Mumbai is a city where people make sure they do not make mistakes while driving a vehicle because no one wants to entertain a mess. And to avoid such situations, most Mumbaikars seem to follow all basic traffic rules, from something as simple as always carrying his/her driver’s license to ensuring he/she has at least basic car insurance to avoid trouble and traffic fines. Therefore, here is a detailed account of getting a driving license without spending extra money on a middleman in Mumbai.
Eligibility Criteria To Get a Driving License in Mumbai
To apply for a driving license in Mumbai, it is important to make sure that an individual fits into all the parameters laid by the Maharashtra Transport Department as followings –
- Age – Age is one of the biggest eligibility criteria –
- The applicant should be 16 years old or more to be eligible for using a two-wheeler with an engine of the size of less than 50cc or for a gearless two-wheeler.
- 18-year-olds are eligible for a light gear motor vehicle driving license or for using a two-wheeler with an engine capacity of more than 50cc or a four-wheeler.
- 20-year-olds are eligible for a heavy gear motor vehicle driving license or for driving a commercial vehicle.
- Education – The applicant should have a minimum education up to the 8th standard.
- Learner’s Licence – To apply for a driving license in Mumbai, the applicant should have a learner’s license. He/she should hold a temporary driving license for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days.
- Awareness about Rules – The applicant should be aware of the traffic rules and regulations and must abide by them.
- Citizenship – Any Indian citizen can apply for an LL or DL in Mumbai.
Types of Driving Licenses in Mumbai
In Mumbai, just like everywhere else in the country, two broad categories of driving licenses are issued by the Government of Maharashtra.
Learner’s Licence – Before applying for a permanent driving Licence in Mumbai, an applicant has to get a learner’s Licence in Mumbai first. This is a temporary Licence with a validity of 6 months and is issued when the applicant is learning a motor vehicle.
Permanent Licence: After one month of getting a learner’s Licence, that is from the date of issue, an applicant becomes eligible to apply for a permanent Licence.
Based on the type of the vehicle, Mumbai issues the following licenses:
- License for two wheeler with gears vehicles
- License for two wheeler without gear vehicles
- License for four wheelers both geared and automatic
- License for commercial vehicles
- License for transport vehicles
RTO Fees charged in Mumbai
The RTO office in Mumbai charges a fixed fee for the services they offer. Some of the RTO license-related fees are as follows:
|Rs. 151 plus Rs. 50 for the test
|Permanent driving license
|Renewal of Driving Licence
|Issuing duplicate Driving License
|International Driving Licence Permit
|Authorization to Drive Public Service Vehicle
|Duplicate Registration Certificate
|50% of the registration fee of a particular class of vehicle
|Duplicate Fitness Certificate
|Alteration in Vehicle
How ToAapply For a Driving License in Mumbai
The Driving Licence application process in Mumbai can be completed either online or offline.
Those who choose to apply for a driving license online follow the below steps.
- Log on to the Parivahan portal to access online Driving Licence services.
- Click on the “DL Services” option by selecting the “Online Services” tab.
- Select the state name “Maharashtra” from the drop-down list and select the “Apply for Learner’s Licence” option on the next page.
- Follow the instructions carefully, apply for the Learner’s License online, and schedule an appointment for a test.
- Take the test on the designated date at the RTO and collect the Learner’s License on test clearance.
- Visit the Parivahan website and choose “Apply for DL” from the Driving Licence services menu.
- Select “Applicant holds DL” and follow the instructions to apply for a Driving Licence.
- Click on the “Appointments” option on the DL Services menu and book an appointment for the driving test after 30 days of LL issuance.
- Pay the Driving Licence fees and download/print the acknowledgement receipt for future reference.
- Appear for the driving test on the designated date. An RTO official will monitor the applicant’s driving skills. Upon test clearance, the RTO will record his/her biometric data. The applicant will receive the Driving Licence at his/her residential address via post.
If someone is more comfortable with the offline procedure, here are the detailed steps to follow.
- Visit the RTO and collect the Learner’s Licence application form. One can also download the form via the Parivahan website.
- Fill out the form with the correct information and compile the required documents.
- Submit the duly filled form and documents to the RTO and pay the applicable fees. Collect the acknowledgement receipt and select a slot for the LL test.
- Take the LL test and collect the Learner’s Licence upon test clearance.
- One can pick a slot for the driving test after 30 days.
- Pay the Driving Licence and driving test fees and collect the fee payment receipt.
- Take the driving test at the RTO on the designated date.
- Upon test clearance, the RTO will record the applicant’s biometric data and issue the DL. His/her Driving Licence will be dispatched to the residential address via post.
Documents Required To Apply For a Driving License in Mumbai
To get a Driving Licence in Mumbai, one needs the following documents to present to the Road Transport Authority. He/she will verify these documents and accordingly approve the license:
- Driving Licence Application form-4 is available both online and offline.
- 3 passport-size photographs for learner’s license and 3 passport-size photographs for Driving Licence.
- Address Proof like ration card, voter’s id, copy of passport, aadhar card, or LIC policy that may be older than 6 months at least.
- Age Proof-like educational certificate, birth certificate, or SSC certificate.
- Copy of valid learner’s license.
- Copy of PAN card.
- Receipt of the payment fees.
- Medical Certificate Form 1A if the candidate’s age is above 40 years.
Driving Test Procedure in Mumbai
The applicant who has applied for a driving license in Mumbai will have to book the slot while submitting the application form. The candidate will then have to appear in the designated slot for the driving test. The driving license test is governed under the guidelines of the Motor Vehicle Act. The RTO will assign an invigilator who will decide on the performance of the candidate in the test. The applicant must make necessary arrangements for the vehicle for the test.
Driving test for four-wheelers:
- There are two types of driving tests for four-wheelers: ground and road tests.
- The ground test requires the candidate to drive the vehicle on the “U” and “T” pattern tracks.
- The road test requires the applicant to drive on public roads to evaluate his/her driving skills.
- An RTO inspector organizes and monitors the driving test.
- If the driving skills are not up to the mark and the RTO inspector is unsatisfied with the driving skills, the applicant has to retake the test.
Driving test for two/three-wheelers:
- There are two types of driving tests for two/three-wheelers: ground and road tests.
- The ground test requires the applicant to ride/drive the vehicle “8” and “T” pattern tracks.
- The road test requires him/her to ride/drive on public roads to evaluate his/her driving skills with respect to traffic rules and regulations.
- If the candidate fails to clear the test, he/she can apply for a retest after a week.
Application for a duplicate driving license in Mumbai
In case, the DL is stolen, or it might get lost, the important thing one should do on an immediate basis is to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence. And the first thing after the license gets stolen is to lodge an F.I.R. and a complaint to RTO. One should also get it written and get the affidavit as an important document. Follow the steps mentioned below to get a duplicate copy of the Driving Licence in Mumbai.
- It is important that the request for the duplicate license should be completed within 6 months after one has lost the original DL. Driving a vehicle without a license can be considered an offense.
- Fill in the application form for a Duplicate Licence. One can apply online through Parivahan Website. The form to apply for a Duplicate Licence can be downloaded from the website of the Mumbai Transport Office.
- Pay the applicable fees and print/download the acknowledgement receipt for future reference.
- Visit the RTO on the designated date to submit the online application and documents.
- The RTO will verify the documents and issue the duplicate DL via post.
- Form 2 (Application form for duplicate DL)
- Copy of FIR and affidavit (In case of theft/loss of DL)
- Challan clearance report from the Traffic Police Department of Mumbai
- Original Driving Licence (If damaged and available)
- Photocopy of the Driving Licence (If available)
- Address and age proof for reference
Application procedure to get an international driving license in Mumbai
Here are the steps to apply for an International Driving Licence in Mumbai.
- Visit RTO’s online portal (Parivahan) to access DL services.
- Choose the “DL Services” option from the “Online Services” menu, select the state name “Maharashtra,” and click on the “Apply for IDP” option.
- Enter your details, such as the DL number and date of birth, input the captcha code, and click the “Get DL Details” button.
- Verify the DL details, fill out the form, and upload the required documents.
- Click on the “Submit” option and print/download the acknowledgment receipt.
- Visit the RTO on the designated date with the online application for verification purposes. The RTO will verify the documents and issue the International Driving Permit.
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate)
- Form 4A (IDP application form)
- Copy of your Driving Licence
- Copy of Passport and Visa
- Copy of air ticket for verification
- Passport-size photographs (4 copies)
Renewal Process of a Permanent Driving License in Mumbai
In general, a driving license is valid for 20 years or up to 50 years of age whichever is earlier. A Driving Licence issued for a commercial vehicle is valid for 3 years. An applicant should ideally apply for renewal 30 days before the expiry date of the DL. The applicant can either visit the concerned RTO and apply for the renewal of DL or can do it online on the Maharashtra Transport website.
The following steps will help to apply for DL renewal in Mumbai.
- Log on to the Parivahan portal, apply for DL renewal, and download/print the acknowledgement receipt.
- Visit the RTO, submit the online application, and update details as applicable.
- Upon document verification, the RTO will dispatch the renewed DL to your residential address.
- Form 9
- A photocopy of the Expired driver’s license.
- Form 1A is required in case the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport-size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs. 200/-
- Form 1 and Form 1A, if the applicant’s age is above 50 years.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the test has been cleared, the learner’s license will be issued on the same day. However, if the test has not been cleared, a slot for another appointment can be booked for another day.
You need to keep in mind the following things when you appear for the test to get a Driving Licence in Mumbai.
- You will have to drive on ‘Forward 8 shaped track tests’, ‘Parallel Parking Test’, or ‘Reverse S Test’ or ‘Drive backward on S-shaped track’. So, practice well to clear the test.
- Do not appear in the test under the influence of alcohol.
- Be aware of the traffic signals, rules, and regulations. Always use side mirrors and indicators.
- Press the gears smoothly and make sure the vehicle does not turn off in the middle of the test when you are driving.
A Learner’s Licence or LL is mandatory to obtain a permanent Driving Licence in Mumbai.
Here are some of the prominent RTO offices in Mumbai where you can submit the application for a Driving Licence.
|Regional Transport Office, D/111, Ambivali Village, Versova Road, Near Manish Nagar, Andheri (West), Mumbai ‒ 400053
|25/Sir Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Maharashtra ‒ 400025
|Dy. Regional Transport Officer, Wing-A Link Rd, Kandarpada Anand Park, Dahisar West, Near Borivali, Mumbai ‒ 400068
|Block-T, Sector 19/B, APMC Market, Navi Mumbai, Vashi, Maharashtra ‒ 400705
Yes, both a permanent driving license in Mumbai and a learner’s license in Mumbai is valid in other states in India.
If you have already applied for a DL in Mumbai, you can check the application status online by following the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the Parivahan portal’s official website to access Driving Licence services.
- Select the “Driving Licence Related Services” option by navigating to the “Online Services” menu.
- Select the state of residence (Maharashtra) on the next page.
- Click the “Application Status” button on the top menu.
- Enter your details, such as the application number and date of birth.
- Input the captcha code and click “Submit” to view the Driving Licence application status in Mumbai.
Renewal of a driving license in Mumbai can be done within 5 years of its expiry although you will have to pay a penalty for it (a penalty is not charged if it is renewed within 30 days of expiry).
If you fail the driving test, you can apply for a retest after 7 days.