Being the owner of a two-wheeler can mean a lot of things to a person. For many, a two-wheeler is just a mode to commute, for many others, it is more than a commuting machine. There are people who do not mind spending that extra amount of money to make their vehicle even more special by purchasing a bike number that conveys a certain message about who they are and how they want the world to look at them. However, the biggest challenge is to be able to get the number you really crave for. A lot of people may have their eyes on the same number that you desperately seek to enhance the value of your vehicle. This is why it is important to know the right process to apply for a fancy registration number or VIP number in India.
Elements of a Vehicle Registration Number
The letters and numbers used in a vehicle registration number indicate certain details of the vehicle. The two initial letters in the registration number represent the Indian state in which the vehicle is registered. For example, MH for Maharashtra, KA for Karnataka, DL for Delhi, AP for Andhra Pradesh, and others. The next two numbers after the state code represent the code for a particular RTO that functions under the state government. The next 4 numbers on your registration plate are the registration number of your two-wheeler. The vehicle number can be anything in the band of 0001 to 9999. Once all the registration numbers in the range are allocated, an extra alphabet is attached to the number, and the same series of numbers is used again.
Steps Involved in Registering a Fancy Number for a Bike in India
Given that it is an electronic sale, the fancy registration number is now accessible online at automobile dealerships. With no need to attend an RTO, we can select from the list. For every VIP number, a basic price has been set, and the bidding will start when the base price is reached. The following are the steps for bidding on a fancy bike registration:
- Register as a regular member of the public on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) website.
- After registering and entering your account, choose the fancy number.
- Pay the required fees for registration to reserve the selected number.
- Bid for the choice of VIP number bike.
- The result gets declared and pays the balance.
- To serve as a reference, print the allotment letter.
Charges and Fees for Bike Fancy Number
In most cases, the applicant for a special two-wheeler number has to pay a certain registration fee and deposit the base price for the desired number as caution money. Once the number is assigned to a person, they must pay the remaining amount at the RTO within a specific frame of time. Failing to do the same will result in the cancellation of the application. While the caution money is refundable, the registration charges are not refundable.
The registration fee for a fancy number varies from state to state. In addition to the registration fee, you need to pay an advance fee to book a specific plate. This advance payment is determined by the type of number you choose to reserve. These special numbers are divided into four divisions, each with its own advance payment slab. Below is the reserve price to bid for a fancy or a VIP vehicle number plate in Delhi:
|Type of number
|Rs. 5 lakhs
|0002, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0007, 0008, 0009
|Rs. 3 lakhs
|0786, 1111, 7777, 9999, and numbers between 0010 to 0099
|Rs. 2 lakhs
|Semi fancy numbers
|0100, 0111, 0200, 0222, 0300, 0333, 0400, 0444, 0500, 0555, 0600, 0666, 0700, 0777, 0800, 0888, 0900, 0999, 2000, 2222, 3000, 3333, 4000, 4444, 5000, 5555, 6000, 6666, 7000, 8000, 9000, 0101, 0108, 1008, & 1313
|Rs. 1 lakh
Steps to Check the Availability of Fancy Numbers Online
There are fancy numbers for bikes that can be checked online. The procedures for determining whether VIP/fancy bike numbers are available are listed below:
- Explore the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Navigate through the website and choose the “Choice Number” at the bottom.
- Then you will be redirected to a new page where you need to select the state and RTO name.
- Next again a new page will be opened where it displays the list of fancy bike numbers from which we can choose.
Process of e-Auction of Fancy Registration Numbers
The process of e-auction varies from one state to another. However, there is a generalized process that can give you an idea about the procedure. The process flow of e-auction of fancy registration numbers in Delhi is as follows:
- Get the Unique Acknowledgement Number (UAN) by registering on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways’ website.
- Pay the reserve fee and registration fee for the fancy registration number.
- Decide on the necessary registration number, then block the number.
- The bidding will take place on subsequent two days from the start day of registration for the e-auction.
- There is an option to change the bid in multiples of Rs.10,000 for Category 1 to 4, while for Category 5, you can bid in multiples of Rs.1,000.
- Email and SMS notifications will be used to notify the winning bidder.
- Within five days of the proclamation date, deposit the remaining sum online.
- After you make the online deposit payment, the allotment letter will be produced. The letter is valid for 90 days from the vehicle’s registration date.
Based on the respective number allotment process in a particular state, a two-wheeler number will be assigned to the applicant. The applicant will be intimated by the RTO to pay the remaining sum and claim their number. If the applicant fails to pay the amount in a specific time frame, their application will be canceled and the number will be put back in the series of available fancy numbers.
Frequently Asked Questions
You are not required to fulfill any qualifying conditions. However, depending on the number category you choose, you should be able to endure the associated costs, advance payments, and other monetary commitments.
The registration procedure may take up to three days. Following these three days, another two days are set aside for the actual bidding procedure.
No, it is not mandatory to have a fancy vehicle number. It is completely your choice whether you want to have it or not.
Yes, you can keep your fancy number plate after selling or scraping your bike.
The fancy registration number allotment letter is valid for 90 days from the date of issue for bike registration at the designated RTO.