If you are an Indian citizen then making an Aadhaar card is mandatory as per the rules of the Government of India. It is one of the most important documents of an Indian citizen and you have to link your bank account with your Aadhaar Card. Although it is not mandatory, you can also link your driving licence to this card because to avail of the government subsidies available in different schemes, it is mandatory to link Aadhaar. Previously the process was very complicated, but fortunately due to the rising need for digitalization, linking an Aadhaar Card with a driving licence has become an easy process. Follow this article to learn about this process.
Importance of Linking Aadhaar with a Driving Licence
The following are the benefits of linking your Aadhaar Card with your driving licence.
- All the information will be under one roof if you link your Aadhar Card with your driving licence.
- There are different transport-related works that we might not be aware of. If your Aadhaar card is linked to your driving licence, then these operations will be easier and quicker.
- All the processes related to transport will be very clear and transparent.
- It would be easier for the transport department to keep a tab on the details related to your driving licence and your car/bike.
- As your Aadhaar is linked to your driving licence, all the information will be unique. There will be no possibility of fraud or issuing a duplicate driving licence in your name.
- If anyone has issued multiple driving licences in his/her name, then the concerned authority can get notified and verify the details and take necessary actions accordingly.
- India is an accident-prone country. Therefore, the number of accidents will decrease as one cannot obtain a driving licence without clearing the test rightfully.
- It will be easier and quicker for the authorities to find out the fake driving licences.
Process of Linking Aadhaar with a Driving Licence
Indian Government has made both online and offline processes available for users to link their Aadhaar Card with their driving licence. Here are the detailed processes.
This online process may vary from one state to another. However, the general process of linking an Aadhaar Card with a driving licence is kind of the same. Here is the procedure.
- Go to the official website of the transport department of the concerned state or union territory.
- Find out the Link Aadhaar option.
- From the drop-down menu, click on the Driving Licence tab.
- Put your diving licence number in the right place and click on the Get Details option.
- After that, you need to put your Aadhaar number and registered mobile number in the correct place. Be careful while putting in the credentials.
- Now, click on the Submit option.
- As soon as you do this process, you will get an OTP in your registered mobile number. Put the OTP carefully in the right place.
- The process is completed. You have successfully linked your Aadhaar with your driving licence.
One can also opt for the offline procedure. For that, follow the below steps.
- Go to the RTO (Regional Transport Office) that issued your driving licence.
- Take the Aadhaar linking form from there.
- Put the required details including your Aadhaar Card number and driving licence number in the right place carefully.
- Submit the duly filled and signed form to the concerned person and attach the required documents such as the photocopies of the Aadhaar Card and driving licence.
- The authority will verify your details.
- If no discrepancy is found, your Aadhaar Card will be linked to your driving licence and you will get a notification about the same in your registered mobile number.
How To Link Aadhaar With a Driving Licence Offline?
If you find the online process a bit complicated, worry not because the process to link DL with Aadhaar can be done offline too. Here are the necessary steps-
- The first step is to mark a visit to the Regional Transport Office (RTO) that issued your driving license.
- Reach out to an executive and get an Aadhaar linking form.
- Fill out the form and ensure to check the details twice that you have filled in. Note that you must enter your DL number and the Aadhaar number here in this form, so be careful while penning the same.
- Next, submit this completely filled form to the authorized executive and ensure to attach a self-attested copy of your Aadhaar Card and the driving license with it.
- A proper assessment and verification will be carried out by the RTO. On successful verification, you will receive an SMS on the registered mobile number confirming that your DL has been linked to your Aadhaar card.
Frequently Asked Questions
Be it e-Aadhaar or hardcopy of it, the number on the card remains always the same. Therefore, it is certainly valid.
The following documents are required.
- Original copy of Aadhaar Card
- Original copy of the driving licence
- Passport size photograph(s)
Any Indian citizen with a valid Aadhaar Card and driving licence can link his/her Aadhaar with a driving licence.