The 1989 Motor Vehicles Act mandates that all vehicles must possess a valid fitness certificate (FC) to ascertain their roadworthiness. The registration of both commercial vehicles and private vehicles is streamlined when the government issues an FC. Therefore, if you are looking to purchase a vehicle in the future, you should know how to renew your FC.
If you are looking to renew your vehicle’s fitness certificate, then this post will enlighten you with the steps and other essential details that you should take care of.
What is a Fitness Certificate (FC) of a vehicle?
The Regional Transport Office (RTO) is responsible for issuing a vehicle fitness certificate, affirming that the manufactured vehicle is in optimal condition for safe operation. Before a vehicle is dispatched to the dealer, rigorous quality checks are conducted during its manufacturing process. The fitness certificate serves as the legal validation for the manufacturer, providing evidence of the vehicle’s fitness. Generally, new vehicles are granted a fitness certificate that is valid for 15 years.
Why is a vehicle Fitness Certificate important in India?
Here are the key points highlighting the significance of the fitness certificate of a vehicle in India.
- Mandatory Requirement: A fitness certificate is obligatory for all motor vehicles in India.
- Commercial Vehicle Requirement: Commercial vehicles, in particular, are required to maintain an active and valid FC at all times. Failure to present the certificate during inspections can lead to priorities.
- Safety Assurance: The fitness certificate of a vehicle is crucial for ensuring the safety of the vehicles on the road. The certification involves a comprehensive inspection, evaluating the mechanical condition of the vehicle to verify its roadworthiness.
- Environmental Impact: With rising concern about vehicle pollution, especially from older vehicles, FC plays an incredibly important role in such a situation. The certificate ensures that older vehicles, known for emitting harmful pollutants, are not certified, thereby preventing their operation on roads and contributing to environmental conservation.
- Compliance and Penalty Avoidance: Obtaining a fitness certificate is instrumental in avoiding non-compliance penalties imposed by authorities. It acts as proof that the vehicle has undergone necessary inspections and meets the required standards, preventing unnecessary legal hassles.
How to Renew a Fitness Certificate for Your Vehicle?
If you are looking to renew your vehicle’s fitness certificate via online method, then the following are the steps that you will need to follow.
- Firstly, visit the official website of Parivahan Sewa.
- After that, under “Vehicle Related Services”, you will see a box of “Other Services”. Click on the “More” button.
- Then, you will see a lot of core services. Locate the fitness box and then click on “More Details”. The moment you click on it, you will need to select your state name.
- Then, you will need to enter your User ID and password. Since you are a new user, you should register yourself first before using any service. Click on “Register Now”.
- Then, enter your full name, email ID, mobile number, and select state. Enter the captcha code. Once you are done entering the details, click on “Register”.
- In the following step, you will need to check your Gmail account. Use the OTP (received in your email inbox) and click on the link provided in the mail.
- After that, reset a new password to continue with the renewal of your vehicle’s fitness certificate process.
- Again, go back to the page wherein you are requested to enter your email ID and password. Now, use the new credentials to log in.
- Once you log in, you will be directed to a home page where you will see details like the dashboard, online services, online permits, other services, and more. Find the “Online Services” tab and when you hover your mouse over it, click on “Renewal of Fitness Certificate”.
- Then, enter your vehicle’s registration number, Chassis Number, and your registered mobile number. Then, click on “Generate OTP”. Then, check your email to retrieve the OTP and then continue with the renewal process.
- After that, you will need to fill in the required information. Then, use any of the payment methods to make the online payment to finalize your renewal procedure.
- Once you are done making the payment, your vehicle’s fitness certificate will be renewed. You can download or print the acknowledgment receipt for future reference.
If you prefer to renew your vehicle’s Fitness Certificate through offline channels, adhere to the following steps:
- Form Acquisition
Acquire all requisite application forms either from the Regional Transport Office (RTO) or through the Parivahan portal.
- Document Compilation
Complete the forms diligently and compile all necessary supporting documents.
- Visit the RTO
Personally visit the RTO and submit your renewal application along with the accompanying documents.
- Fee Payment
Proceed to the fee collection counter to make the requisite payments associated with the application process.
- Vehicle Inspection
On the scheduled date, bring your vehicle to the RTO for a thorough inspection.
By following these steps, you can successfully navigate the offline application process for renewing a Fitness Certificate for your vehicle.
What’s the Fine for an Expired Fitness Certificate in India?
Driving a vehicle, especially a commercial one, without a valid fitness certificate is a legal offense. Let’s discuss the vehicle fitness certificate fine in India.
- The fine for driving a vehicle with an expired FC ranges from Rs. 2, 000 to Rs. 5, 000 for the first time.
- The fine for repeat offenses stands at Rs. 5, 000 to Rs. 10, 000.
- In case of several repeat offenses, the driver or owner can also face imprisonment.
- Apart from that, there’s a provision under the Motor Vehicle Act to levy a fine of Rs. 50 per day for the delay in renewing the fitness certificate of the vehicle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Listed below are the frequently asked questions related to the renewal of your vehicle’s fitness certificate.
Yes, you can apply for the renewal of FC for an old vehicle via the Parivahan portal or by visiting the RTO.
The validity of the commercial vehicle FC stands at 2 years for vehicles up to 8 years old. The Fitness Certificate validity for commercial vehicles older than 8 years is one year, which means one has to renew the FC every year.
If the vehicle does not clear the fitness test, the RTO inspector will state the reason for the same. You can rectify the faults or repair the vehicle as per the reasons stated by the RTO. After you have fixed the issues in the vehicle, you can re-apply for the FC.
An RTO officer conducts a vehicle inspection, where he/she examines the vehicle visually. Additionally, RTO officers use other devices and drive the vehicle for a few meters to complete the check. If the vehicle owner faces rejection after that, the first step will be to know the reasons behind this and fix those. After completion of the repair work, he/she can apply for an FC again.
You can visit the Parivahan website and create an account to register your phone number. Registering the mobile number is an essential step as you require an OTP to apply for or renew the Fitness Certificate.