Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal, is one of India’s busiest and most culturally enriched cities. People from different parts of the world visit the place throughout the seasons. The city is known for its bustling streets and busy traffic as the roads have a dense network of tram, metro, rail, and other transport systems. Though the traffic police department of the city has imposed a bunch of rules and regulations to maintain smooth traffic, often it has been found that if one does not know those rules properly, he/she has to pay even hefty fines once a single rule is broken, knowingly or unknowingly. To handle traffic, the Kolkata Traffic Police Department has adopted modern methods to impose traffic management laws in Kolkata. The e-challan system is one of the successful ways through which the authorities ensure a secure traffic flow in the city. Therefore, to make things easier, here are the details that one needs to know about the city’s traffic rules, how to pay the traffic fines online, and a lot of others. Have a look.
How Does The Traffic Police levy the E-challan in Kolkata?
The e-challan is a digital system for the Traffic Police to impose challans on offenders. A traffic police officer can send an e-challan to the offender’s registered mobile number via SMS. The offender can find details of the offense and the other details of the fine in the received message. Once he/she receives the e-challan, the offender must pay the required fine within 60 days. If one fails to pay the fine within the stipulated period, he/she may face difficulties. Both offline and online methods are available to pay a Kolkata traffic fine. But before that, one needs to understand this city’s traffic movement rules and regulations. For that, follow the below content.
Latest Traffic Rules and Regulations in Kolkata
The Kolkata Traffic Police Department has laid out a list of rules and principles that one needs to follow while he/she is out there on the street with the vehicle, be it a two-wheeler or four-wheeler. If any person does not follow the rules religiously, he/she has to bear the penalties for that. Here is a list of a few traffic rules employed by the traffic police of the city.
- Over-speeding can cause serious accidents leading to deaths. Therefore, a driver is always expected to drive the vehicle under a certain speed limit. Violation of that can bring heavy consequences.
- Every motor vehicle should be fitted with a reflector.
- Drink and driving are prohibited all over the country. So, everyone should be aware of that.
- Driving without the proper vehicle registration or a valid driving license can invite a heavy fine.
- There are well-defined air and noise pollution standards prescribed for vehicles in Kolkata. If a vehicle does not comply with the air or noise pollution standards, the driver must pay a penalty of Rs. 1,000. For the second violation of air or noise pollution standards, the fine increases to Rs. 2,000.
- If the vehicle is driven by a minor, the owner has to face fines for that.
- If the driver does not use toplight at night, or if he/she uses toplight in poor visibility, the traffic police will raise a fine against the driver.
List of Traffic Fines as Updated by the Kolkata Police
There are several traffic fines that can be imposed on an offender on the basis of his/her offense. Among those, only the important ones are mentioned in the following table.
|Description||1st violation||2nd violation||3rd violation||4th violation|
|Driving a vehicle at excessive speed||Rs. 1000||Rs. 2000||Rs. 2000||Rs. 2000|
|Without Pollution under Control Certificate||Rs. 2000|
|Failed to produce valid PUC within 7 days from the date of issuance of notice||Rs. 1000|
|Vehicle not fitted with wiper or wiper not maintained in good working condition||Rs. 500||Rs. 1000||Rs. 1000||Rs. 1000|
|Driving a vehicle in violation of mandatory traffic signals||Rs. 500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500|
|Allowing the vehicle to remain stationary at any public place||Rs. 500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500|
|Vehicle not fitted with a horn||Rs. 500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500|
|Not wearing protective headgear (For two-wheeler)||Rs. 1000|
|Violation of mandatory traffic signals by the driver||Rs. 500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500|
|Not insuring the vehicle against 3rd party or driving an uninsured vehicle||Rs. 2000||Rs. 4000||Rs. 4000||Rs. 4000|
|Disobedience of Order and Obstruction||Rs. 2000|
|Failing to renew of driving license||Rs. 500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500||Rs. 1500|
|Offense related to driver’s license concealing information||Rs. 10000|
|Driving vehicle dangerously||Rs. 5000||Rs. 10000||Rs. 10000||Rs. 10000|
|Using earphones or mobile while driving the vehicle||Rs. 5000||Rs. 10000||Rs. 10000||Rs. 10000|
Different Ways of paying Traffic Challan in Kolkata
Once an offender receives an e-challan in Kolkata, he/she can opt for multiple methods to pay the penalty. Offline and online procedures are available to make e-challan payments in West Bengal.
- Through a Traffic Police Officer – Approach a traffic officer in Kolkata who has an e-challan device and provide the e-challan number along with the DL number or vehicle registration number to the officer. After that, pay the required fine for the challan and get the receipt.
- Online – One can visit the official website of Kolkata Traffic Police. Using that portal, the offender can easily pay the fines and also can view the details of the offense.
- Offline – Though it is a bit of a time-consuming method, one can go to the Kolkata Traffic Police Headquarters to make a payment for his/her fine(s).
- Others – One can also avail of the facilities like pay order, demand draft, or cheque and send it via mail to the official address of Kolkata Traffic Police Headquarters.
Steps To Pay Traffic Challan Online in Kolkata
In the age of digitalization, paying traffic fines has become easier with the help of the online method. The followings are the various online approaches. Have a look.
Through the Kolkata Traffic Police website:
- Visit the official website of the Kolkata Traffic Police Department.
- Click on the ‘Make Online Payment’ tab available on the homepage.
- Fill in the blanks with the required details, such as the vehicle number and the final five digits of the chassis number.
- After that, one must enter his/her mobile number and email address.
- Then, click on the ‘Get OTP’ option and enter the OTP correctly for verification.
- There will be the ‘Confirm’ option. Click on that to see e-challan details.
- Select one or multiple e-challans to make the payment.
- Fill in the payment details to pay the amount, and save the receipt for future reference.
West Bengal Traffic Police website:
- Go to the official website of West Bengal Traffic Police.
- There will be the ‘Online Payment for Traffic Fines’ option. Click on that.
- Fill in the blanks with the required details in the GRIPS (Government Receipt Portal System) form.
- Once redirected, select the drop-down menu ‘Select Department/Directorate.’
- After that, select ‘West Bengal Police.’
- Click on the drop-down menu ‘Select Service’ and then click on the ‘Police – Traffic Fine’ option.
- Click on the ‘Proceed’ option.
- Fill in all necessary information and follow the instructions to successfully pay the fine.
Through Parivahan e-Challan website:
- Visit the official website of Parivahan e-Challan website.
- Click on the ‘Check Online Services’ tab that is available on the homepage, and select the ‘Check Challan Status’ option.
- Enter the challan number, Driving Licence number, or Registration number in the right place.
- Be careful while putting the Captcha code as given on your screen.
- Click on the ‘Get Detail’ option to obtain the details of the challan.
- After that, select one or more challans for payment completion.
- Provide payment details and pay the required amount. Upon successful payment, the offender will receive a notification regarding the same in his/her registered mobile number and/or email ID. Save the receipt for future reference.
Frequently Asked Questions
The address is as follows:
Kolkata Police Traffic Guard Headquarters
H88X+7XR, Hastings Street, Lelin Sarani Road,
Chowringhee North, Governors Camp, B.B.D. Bagh,
Kolkata, West Bengal 700069
One can get connected to the Kolkata Traffic Police using any of the following numbers – 2214-1457, 2250-5096, 2214-3644, 2242-7248.
To check the status of your Kolkata traffic e-challan online, one can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the official website of the Parivahan e-Challan portal.
- Click on the ‘Check Online Services’ tab.
- After that, click on the ‘Check Challan Status’ option.
- Provide the required details such as challan, DL, or vehicle number.
- Enter the visible Captcha code displayed on the screen.
- Click on the ‘Get Detail’ option to obtain information related to every e-challan on the vehicle.
A vehicle driver must carry several documents to legally drive a vehicle in Kolkata. Below is the list of required documents.
- Valid Registration Certificate for the vehicle.
- Valid Driving Licence for the driver.
- Valid Third-party Insurance Certificate for the vehicle
- Pollution Under Control Certificate for the vehicle
- Road Tax Payment Certificate
When driving a commercial vehicle, a Fitness Certificate for the vehicle is also necessary along with other documents.
Yes, one can produce softcopies of the documents saved in DigiLocker, whenever it is required.
‘No entry’ violations in Kolkata are punishable with a hefty fine of Rs. 2,000 for the first offense. The second offense for the same attracts a fine of Rs. 5,000. Thus, drivers must be careful with the ‘no entry’ signs while driving in the city.
To ease the process of collecting the NOC, an online system has been developed by the computer cell of Kolkata Traffic Police. The applicants will need to visit the official website of Kolkata Traffic Police to obtain the e-NOC.