Compare Premium. Buy Now.
Family Health Insurance
Super Top Up Health Insurance
Super top-up health insurance is basically an extension of your standard health policy, which reimburses you for your total medical expenses over and above a deductible amount. When your normal health policy’s sum insured exhausts or you pay the costs on your own up to the deductible amount, a super top-up plan comes into play by paying for all your hospitalization expenditures. After your deductibles are paid, your super top-up policy gets activated for your future claims.
Under super top-up health insurance, you can easily claim an excess amount up to the amount insured. It is important to note that the deductible limit is already set before handed. For instance, you have super top-up insurance of Rs. 20 lakhs along with a deductible of Rs. 6 lakhs. In such a case, your super top-up policy will cover medical expenses over and above Rs. 6 lakhs. Thus, we can say that a super top-up plan works as additional coverage to pay your entire medical expenses arising out of medical exigencies.
What Are the Salient Features of a Super Top-Up Health Insurance?
Super top-up health insurance has the following features in general:
- COVID-19 Treatment Cover
COVID-19 may necessitate a patient’s hospitalization for days and even weeks. In the event of such an emergency, a super top-up plan can help you escape the medical expenditures arising out of COVID-19 treatment. The plan covers the cost of hospitalization as well as treatment for the COVID-19.
- Pay Deductible Amount Only Once!
With super top-up insurance, you just have to pay your deductible only once, and you can claim multiple times during the year.
- Flexibility in Choosing Deductibles & Sum Insured
The policyholder has the option of selecting a deductible based on the sum insured when purchasing a super top-up plan. For example, you can choose between deductibles of 1, 2, 3, and 5 lakhs, as well as a Sum Insured of Rs 20 lakhs to Rs 40 lakhs.
- Higher Sum Insured Option
If at any point of time you feel that your existing sum insured is not enough to meet your needs or requirements, you can raise the sum insured under a super top-up policy.
- Save More Tax
Under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, the policyholder can claim tax benefits on the paid premium for the super top-up health insurance plan. A super top-up health insurance policy, like any other health insurance policy, offers tax savings ranging from Rs 25,000 to Rs 75,000!
- Additional Coverage!
Having only your employer’s or private insurance policy is insufficient in the realm of rising healthcare expenditures. With a super top-up policy, you can get coverage that you wouldn’t get through your employer’s or normal healthcare plan, such as critical illnesses.
- Parents & Seniors? – Get Them Covered Too!
The cost of health insurance for the elderly and seniors can be unreasonably high. A super top-up plan, on the other hand, lets you enhance your coverage for your parents while paying a lower premium.
How Does a Super Top-Up Health Insurance Work?
As previously noted, the super top-up plan has a deductible limit. The policyholder must select a deductible value at which the super top-up plan will activate as per the policy terms and conditions. In order to understand how a super top-up health insurance plan work, we need to go through an example!
Mrs. Savita suffered from a heart attack and the treatment went up to Rs. 4 lakhs. She has regular health insurance of Rs. 5 lakhs. She also has a super top-up health plan of a deductible amount of INR 5 lakhs.
Post-treatment for her heart attack she suffers another one after 5 months, with the bill coming up to Rs. 6 lakhs. Under her regular health policy, Mrs. Savita will get coverage for the first hospitalization, but not for the second hospitalization because she has already claimed Rs. 5 lakhs in the first hospitalization. In this situation, her ordinary health insurance will cover Rs. 1 lakh, while her super top-up health insurance will cover the remaining Rs. 2 lakhs in the second hospitalization. In case there is a third hospitalization, her super top-up plan will settle the entire amount of the bill. Thus, Mrs. Savita needs not pay any amount out of her pocket as her super top-up policy gets activated right after her standard health policy is exhausted.
What’s The Difference Between Top-Up Plan & Super-Top Up Plan?
Check out the table below to see the differences between top-up and super-top-up plans:
|Coverage||It offers single-claim coverage in excess of the existing medical insurance’s threshold value.||It covers medical expenses that exceed the deductible limit and the amount insured. It pays for the expenses that a top-up plan does not cover.|
|Frequency Of Paying Deductibles||The deductible is applied on a claim-by-claim basis. That is, if the total value of all claims does not reach the deductible, you will not be able to file a claim for that bill.||The claim is made only once during a policy year.|
|Premium Amount||The amount of premium is lower.||The amount of premiums is higher than top-up plans.|
|Number Of Claims||Only one claim is applicable during the policy term.||Multiple claims are applicable during the policy term.|
|Expiration||Once the first claim is covered, these plans expire.||When the entire cover is used up, these policies expire.|
Super Top-Up Plans in India
It can be difficult to find an appropriate super top-up health insurance plan. Some health insurance providers may provide excellent coverage at a high cost. Others request modest premiums, yet the benefits provided are insufficient.
In the table below, we’ve included the top ten super top-up plans. We have chosen them because of their lower premiums, higher sum insured of up to Rs. 10 lakhs, and wide range of features.
|Plan Name||Entry Age||Premium Amount||Deductibles||Tenure||Sum Insured|
|Aditya Birla Active Assure + Super Health Top-Up||5 to 65 Years||Rs. 10,768||N/A||N/A||Rs. 1,00,00,000|
|Max Bupa Health Recharge||N/A||Rs. 1094||N/A||N/A||Rs. 20,00,000|
|Bajaj Allianz Extra Care Plus||91 Days to 80 Years||N/A||Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 10 Lakhs||1/2/3 Years||Rs. 10 Lakhs & Rs. 25 Lakhs|
|HDFC Ergo My Health Medisure Super Top-Up||18 to 65 Years||Rs. 1817||N/A||N/A||Rs. 20 Lakhs|
|Care Enhance Super Top-Up Health Plan||18 Years and Above||Rs. 3087|
For Enhance 1: Rs. 1 Lakh to Rs. 10 Lakhs
For Enhance 2: Rs. 5 Lakhs to Rs. 20 Lakhs
For Enhance 1: Rs. 1 Lakh to Rs. 30 Lakhs
For Enhance 2: Rs. 35 Lakhs to Rs. 50 Lakhs
|Digit Super Top-Up Health Plan||18 to 65 Years||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Chola MS Super Top-Up Plan||3 to 70 Years||N/A||Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1 Crore||2/3 Years||Rs. 3 Lakhs to Rs. 25 Lakhs|
|Kotak Health Super Top-Up Plan||N/A||N/A||N/A||1/2/3 Years||N/A|
|Manipal Cigna Super Top-Up Plan||18 Years and Above||From Rs. 1309 to Rs. 2206||N/A||1/2/3 Years|
For Super Plus: Rs. 3 Lakhs to Rs. 30 Lakhs
For Super Select: Rs. 1 Lakh to Rs. 30 Lakhs
|Universal Sompo Super Healthcare Super Top-Up Plan||Up To 80 Years||N/A|
Gold: Rs. 1 Lakh to Rs. 4 Lakhs
Diamond: Rs. 6 Lakh to Rs. 10 Lakhs
Platinum: Rs. 10 Lakhs to Rs. 40 Lakhs
Gold: Rs. 2 Lakhs to Rs. 10 Lakhs
Diamond: Rs. 3 Lakhs to Rs. 20 Lakhs
Platinum: Rs. 10 Lakhs to Rs. 100 Lakhs
Disclaimer: The values are taken from the respective plan brochures and are subject to change.
1. Aditya Birla Active Assure + Super Health Top-Up
With the Aditya Birla Active Assure + Super Health Top-Up plan, you can get comprehensive health coverage at the most modest rates. The plan covers medical bills up to one crore without putting you at risk of exceeding your budget. There’s no need to dive into your funds because the combination of two policies ensures that you and your family are well-protected in the event of a medical emergency.
- Discounts on Health and Wellness: The plan provides Health and Wellness discounts at the network doctors’ OPD consultations, diagnostic services, and pharmacies.
- Road Ambulance Expenses: Road Ambulance Expenses in non-network hospitals are covered up to Rs. 5000 per hospitalization, whereas in network hospitals they are covered up to Actuals.
- Day Care Procedures: The plan covers 586 daycare procedures even if the hospitalization is not more than 24 hours.
2. Max Bupa Health Recharge
Max Bupa’s Health Recharge plan is a budget-friendly option. It allows you to cover yourself, your spouse, and up to four children. What’s more, in addition to the base plan, Health Recharge gives you the choice of adding critical illnesses and personal accident coverage.
- Ambulance Cover: The cost of an ambulance ride is paid up to Rs. 1500 each hospitalization.
- Pre- and Post-Hospitalization Expenses: Pre- and post-hospitalization charges, up to the covered amount, for 60-90 days are covered under the plan.
- Loyalty Benefit: A loyalty benefit that adds 5% to the amount insured each year is provided to the policyholder. The maximum amount of loyalty benefit is up to 50%.
3. Bajaj Allianz Extra Care Plus
Extra Care Plus from Bajaj Allianz is the perfect super top-up health insurance coverage that you need in today’s uncertain environment. The policy comes into use after your base health insurance plan’s sum insured expires.
- Pre-Existing Disease Cover: After one year from the policy’s issuance, coverage for pre-existing conditions is available.
- Emergency Ambulance Cover: Coverage for emergency ambulance costs is provided.
- Maternity Coverage: Maternity expenses, including pregnancy complications, are covered under the plan.
4. HDFC Ergo My Health Medisure Super Top-Up
HDFC Ergo My Health Medisure Top-up plan provides more coverage at affordable premiums. In case you choose two-year long-term insurance, you can save 5% on premiums. And if you want to insure more than two people, you can get an additional 10% on the sum insured.
- No Medical Examination Up To 55 Years: HDFC Ergo health insurance plan does not require any medical examination up to 55 years of age.
- Lifetime Renewability: Once you’ve secured yourself with the HDFC Ergo My Health Medisure Super Top-Up plan, the health insurance plan renews automatically for the rest of your life.
- Fixed Premiums from Age 61: You need to pay consistent premiums after 61 years.
5. Care Enhance Super Top-Up Health Plan
Care Enhance Super Top-Up plan covers all of your hospitalization expenses when the coverage amount of your basic health insurance plan is exhausted. The plan improves your health coverage to help you deal with life’s uncertainties at a lower cost.
- Free Health Check-Up: Regardless of claim history, the plan provides a free health check-up to the policyholder.
- Expert Opinion: Expert Opinion is an add-on benefit that provides the policyholder with the expert opinion of a specialist medical professional.
- Family Discount: If more than one member of the same family is individually covered under the same policy, a discount on the premium is available.
6. Digit Super Top-Up Health Plan
The Digit Health Super Top-Up Plan is cost-sharing. It means that the policy only covers a portion of the cost, which is greater than the deductible limit.
- Customizable: The policy can be tailored to meet your specific healthcare requirements.
- Higher Sum Insured: The plan provides a higher sum insured at a reasonable premium amount.
- Family Cover: The plan covers the entire family including the senior citizens.
7. Chola MS Super Top-Up Plan
Chola Super Top-up Insurance is an all-in-one top-up plan that covers you for rising medical costs on the basis of a variable Sum Insured or Individual Sum Insured. This policy provides you with additional protection at a low rate.
- Family Floater Cover: The plan also provides the option to cover family members of the policyholders.
- Various Deductible Options: The plan offers various deductible options to suit your requirements.
- No Health Check-Ups Up To 55 Years: The plan doesn’t require the policyholder to go through any medical check-up up to 55 years of age.
8. Kotak Health Super Top-Up Plan
You may receive higher health insurance coverage at cheap rates with the Kotak Health Super Top Up plan. This Super Top Up policy supplements your standard health insurance policy, allowing you to get more coverage for a lesser price.
- Family Cover: The plan covers the entire family members of the policyholder.
- Various Sum Insured & Deductible Options: The plan offers a wide range of sum insured and deductible options to the policyholder.
- Long Term Cover Option: Long-term coverage of two or three years is an option for those who want to be protected for a longer period of time.
9. Manipal Cigna Super Top-Up Plan
The Manipal Cigna Super Top-Up plan is a supplement to your basic health plan that ensures you are covered in addition to what your basic health plan provides. The plan comes in two forms: Super Top-Up Plus and Super Top-Up Select, which are designed to provide the most value to the policyholder.
- Family Discount: When two or more family members are covered under the same individual policy, a 10% discount is available.
- Lifetime Renewability: The plan has the advantage of being able to be renewed indefinitely.
- Cumulative Bonus: At the time of renewal, the plan offers a guaranteed additional sum insured as a cumulative bonus. The maximum amount is up to 50% of the insured amount.
10. Universal Sompo Super Healthcare Super Top-Up Plan
In the event that your hospital bill exceeds the sum insured under any mediclaim policy or the deductible amount, the Universal Sompo Super Healthcare Policy provides financial protection. The policy is available in two varieties: top-up and super-top-up, each with its own set of options: Plan 1, Plan 2, and Plan 3; Gold, Diamond, and Platinum, respectively.
- COVID-19 Cover: The plan provides coverage for COVID-19 treatment.
- Lifelong Renewability: The plan is renewable for a lifetime.
- 4000+ Network Hospitals: The policyholder can get treated in any one of the 4000+ network hospitals under the plan.
Who Should Buy Super Top-Up Plans?
Individuals who fall into the following groups should think about purchasing a super top-up plan. Let’s find out more about them!
- If You Are a Senior Citizen: For senior citizens, the super top-up plan is strongly suggested because their chance of being hospitalized is higher. The super top-up plan can help you avoid paying higher premiums as you get older.
- If You Are a Corporate Employee: If you work for a company, your health insurance may be given, but the coverage may not be sufficient enough in order to protect you and your family members in the event of a medical emergency. With a super top-up plan, you can expand your coverage, which would otherwise make you pay more with a conventional health plan.
- If Your Present Policy Is Inadequate: If you believe that the sum insured of your existing coverage is insufficient and possess limited benefits, a super top-up plan will give you extra coverage at a lower cost without requiring you to switch to a comprehensive health plan.
What’s Covered & Not Covered?
- Day Care Procedures: The treatment expenses that do not require 24 hours in a hospital are covered.
- Road Ambulance Expenses: The ambulance expenses are covered under a super top-up health insurance plan.
- Annual Health Check-Up: After a specific term of the policy period has passed, annual medical checkups can be claimed.
- Pre-Hospitalization Expenses: Expenses occurring before the hospitalization of the insured person are covered.
- Post-Hospitalization Expenses: Expenses occurring after the insured person is discharged from the hospital are covered.
- ICU Room Rent: Nursing expenses, ICU expenses, and room rent are covered under the policy.
WHAT’S NOT COVERED?
- Expenses for a newborn baby’s medical care
- Any loss or destruction caused by rebellion, war, invasion, or other similar events
- Plastic surgeries
- Organ donor expenses
- Expenses arising due to spectacles, contact lenses, or hearing aids
- Congenital diseases
- HIV treatment
- Venereal diseases
- Drug/alcohol abuse
- Dental surgeries unless it requires hospitalization
How To Buy a Super Top-Up Plan?
- Compare Plans: Compare all of the insurance quotes from various providers. Ensure that you purchase the super top-up plan from a reputable insurer.
- Select A Plan: Select an appropriate plan to purchase based on your needs and requirements.
- Submit Paperwork: The insurance company must receive all of the necessary documents required when purchasing the plan. In general, the following documents are required to be submitted to the insurance company:
- Age proof
- Address proof
- Identity proof
- Passport-sized photographs
- Other documents requested by the company
- Verification: The insurance company will then verify your documents to give a green signal to your purchasing process.
- Paying Premiums: Once the verification is done, you can now pay the premiums and the policy will get activated for you.
What’s The Claim Process?
There are two methods for filing claims against a super top-up health insurance plan. Let’s have a look at them:
For Cashless Claim
- Contacting The Insurance Company: The very first step is to intimate your insurance provider regarding your hospitalization.
- Fill Forms & Submit Documents: You need to provide your ID proof and health card, and also to fill up the pre-authorization form.
- Verification: The hospital will send your paperwork together with your medical documents, which your insurance provider will verify.
- Settling Claim: Once approved, the corporation will pay the network hospital’s invoices immediately.
For Reimbursement Claim
- Contacting The Insurance Company: The insurance company must be intimated regarding your hospitalization as soon as possible.
- Submitting Necessary Documents: After getting discharged from the network hospital, collect all the necessary documents and submit them to the insurance company.
- Assessment & Verification: The insurance company will then assess and verify the documents to determine the amount.
- Settling Claim: Once the documents are verified and the amount is determined, the money will be transferred to the registered bank account of the policyholder.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. It is up to you to make a choice.
These policies cover accidents as well as the ailments stated, which may vary from company to company.
A policyholder is allowed a grace period of 15-30 days to renew the policy, much like with other health insurance policies. If he or she fails to do so, the policy would lapse and no benefits will be available.
The following factors influence the super top-up health insurance premium:
- Sum insured amount
- Geographical location
- Deductible amount
Instead of focusing solely on the premium, you should thoroughly compare your coverage options. Before you sign up for a super top-up health insurance policy, go over the insurer’s network hospitals, benefits, features, coverage level, and claim settlement history. When purchasing a super top-up health insurance policy, you must also select the appropriate deductible limit.
Yes. Ayush treatment is covered by the majority of super top-up plans.
Portability allows a person to switch health insurance companies without losing any of their accumulated advantages, such as no-claim bonuses and coverage for pre-existing conditions. However, you can only switch between policies of similar characteristics and categories. As a result, it is not possible to switch from a health insurance plan to a super top-up plan.