Uttar Pradesh RTO
The state of Uttar Pradesh has over 20 regional offices spread out around the state. The Uttar Pradesh Regional Transport Offices were established in accordance with the Road Transport Act of 1950 with an aim of offering a host of services, including issuing and renewing a driving license, registering vehicles, renewing registration, etc. These functions seek to serve the public better and make the roads safer as well. All the rules and regulations followed in the RTO are mentioned under the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.
Basic Functions Of Uttar Pradesh RTO
The Uttar Pradesh RTO performs a number of different functions. The primary duties of the RTO are mentioned below:
- Conducts the written and practical exams for obtaining the driving license.
- Issues learner’s licenses/permits
- Issues new and renews driving licenses, both domestic and international
- Issues new and renews motor driving school license
- Issues and renews the license of Professional Driving Instructors
- Issuance and renewal of Conductor Licenses
Registration of Motor Vehicle
- Issues new Registration Certificate
- Renews vehicle registration certificate
- Procedure for transfer of ownership in the RC book
- Issuance of temporary RC book for a motor vehicle
- Issuance of NOC for transferring vehicle
- Issues and renews vehicle fitness certificate
- Issues and renews trade certificate
- Issues national permits and local permits for motor vehicles
- Issues permit for
- Light Goods Vehicle
- Heavy Goods Vehicle
- Auto rickshaws
- Local cabs/ taxis
- All India taxis or other tourist vehicles
- Renews the applicable permit for motor vehicles
- Collects road tax from individuals owning motor vehicles
- Road tax can be paid online or offline
- The Central Motor Vehicles Act states that if a car is used for over a year, it is mandatory to pay the entire road tax
- Collects various fees for issuing or renewal. Fees can be paid online depending on the RTO office and the type of fee.
- Driver’s license
- Driver’s permit
- Registration Certificate
- Vehicle permits
Inspection of the vehicle at check posts
- Regular checkpoints for vehicles entering and exiting Uttar Pradesh to ensure vehicles are complying with the necessary conditions
Environmental Due Diligence
- Issuance of certificates for CNG/LPG motor vehicles
- PUC issues from certified testing centers in order to ensure all vehicles are following safety norms
Upgrading Procedure For Convenience
- RTO applications, forms, and a host of services have now been digitized to ensure minimum crowding at the offices and for the convenience of citizens.
How To Register A Vehicle In Uttar Pradesh RTO?
Registering a vehicle in Uttar Pradesh requires a list of documents in order to verify the ownership and issue the necessary documentation. The process can be accomplished by going to your nearest RTO. You will have to keep the documents mentioned below handy. It is necessary to take the vehicle you want to register along with you to the RTO.
Documents Required For Vehicle Registered in RTO Uttar Pradesh
- Form Number 20 (filled)
- Form 22 (will be given by your dealer)
- Sale Certificate (found in Form 21)
- A valid insurance certificate of your vehicle
- Temporary registration, if applicable
- Address proof of the owner
- Form A (From Taxation Act, 1997)
- Passport size photograph of the owner.
- Fees (fund in Rule 81)
- In the case of an imported vehicle, a custom clearance certificate along with the license and bond
- The actual vehicle
Transfer Of Vehicle Ownership In Uttar Pradesh RTO
The RTO allows the old owner of a vehicle to transfer ownership to the new owner fairly easily. Please keep the documents mentioned below with you for an easy, efficient transfer process:
- Forms 29 and 30
- Insurance certificate of vehicle
- Registration certificate
- Certificate of tax clearance
- Fees (please see Rule 81)
- NOC for vehicle ONLY if it is registered outside Uttar Pradesh
- Passport Size photos of new owner and old owner
Uttar Pradesh RTO Codes
|RTO Location||RTO Code|
|Jyotiba Phule Nagar||UP-23|
|Sant Kabir Nagar||UP-58|
|Kanpur Dehat (rural)||UP-77|
Contact Details Of Uttar Pradesh RTO
Address: Hindnagar Colony, Transport Nagar, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226012
Office Hours: 10 am – 5 pm
Phone: 0522- 2436445, 2433555
How To Get Motor Insurance In Uttar Pradesh?
It is illegal to drive a vehicle in India without valid insurance. You can opt for the most basic third-party insurance that offers protection if the damage is caused to a third person or property by your vehicle. Or you can also choose a comprehensive motor vehicle insurance policy, which offers added protection from damage caused due to theft, fire, natural disasters, etc.
You can buy an insurance policy online or offline. Buying insurance online is quick and easy, and you can compare multiple plans on a single screen. With the online purchase of your insurance policy, you cut out the middleman and extra fees. An insurance aggregator’s website is the best place to start your search for the right insurance plan.
Uttar Pradesh RTO FAQs
Yes, it is possible to do so. Please have valid address proof, Form 33, original Vehicle RC, and PUC certificate ready before going to the RTO.
Indian citizens between the age of 16-18 years can apply for the same. The requirements will depend on the type of learner’s license you wish to apply for.
As per the Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Act,2019 the fine for not using the seat belt while driving is INR 1000 in Uttar Pradesh.
The vehicle insurance can be obtained by visiting a branch of any of the general insurance company or through online channel. To get insurance all documents of the vehicle need to be valid and in the correct name and address of the current owner of the vehicle. . It is advisable to get a comprehensive coveragewhich will take care of vehicle’s own damage due to floods, earthquakes, fire, etc. It also covers vehicle theft and other damages due to man-made perils or natural disaster. It is illegal to drive vehicle without valid insurance coverage. If any vehicle is found without insurance then the fine for it is INR 2000 for first offence and INR 4000 for repeated offence.