Headquartered in Hyderabad, the Telangana state RTO department was set up to enforce adherence to the rules and laws stated under the Indian Motor Vehicles Act. The Ministry of Transport of the State Government of Telangana manages and controls the RTO department. The laws and regulations set under the Indian Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 are applicable and valid throughout the Indian subcontinent.
The Telangana RTO department’s principal role is to act as the governing and regulating body for rules and regulations pertaining to the road transport system in Telangana. Having 36 offices in the entire state, the main head office In Hyderabad controls the functioning of each of these offices. The Transport Commissioner is the supreme head of the head office and all offices that report to the head office.
Functions Of Telangana RTO
The Telangana state RTO department’s primary functions include:
- Organizes and conducts the theoretical and practical driving exams
- Issues learners’ licenses for potential drivers
- Issues new/renewal of driving licenses, both domestic and international
- Adds a new class of vehicles to existing driving licenses
- Issues and renews motor driving school licenses
- Issues new or renewed professional diving instructors’ license
- Issues new or renewed Conductor’s licenses
Registration Of Motor Vehicle
- Issues new or renews Registration Certificates for motor vehicles
- Responsible for Transfer of Ownership in any motor vehicle’s RC book
- To update the Vehicle’s RC book for any entry or removal of a hire-purchase, lease, or hypothecation
- To update the Registration Certificate of a vehicle
- Issue a temporary RC book for any vehicle
- Issues NOCs for transfer of vehicles from current to new owners
- Issues new or renews trade certificates
- To grant permits to commercial vehicles
- Motor vehicles tax
- Green tax
- Lifetime tax
- Short-term tax
- Quarterly tax payment
- Collection of tolls for use of highways and freeways
- Collection of license issuance fees
- Collection of vehicle registration fees
- Imposing and collecting fines for traffic violations and offences
Inspection Of The Vehicle At Check Posts
- To check for a valid driver’s license
- To check for valid RC books and documents
- To check emission testing certificates
Environmental Due Diligence
- Issues new or renewed Vehicle Fitness Certificates
- Encourage CNG and LPG Conversion
- Set up PUC Testing Centers across the state
Upgrading The Procedure For Convenience
- Managing traffic to improve road traffic system
- Setting up a team of traffic police officers when signatories visit any city/town in the state
Procedure And Documents Required To Register Your Vehicle In Telangana RTO
The vehicle registration in Telangana can be of two types:
1. Temporary Registration
As per the rules stated under the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, you can get a temporary registration on your vehicle in Telangana by filling Form 20 following the guidelines stated under the Act marked “Temporary” to the Registering Authority or the dealer dealing in the sale of New Motor Vehicles Recognized by the Transport Commissioner.
You can extend your temporary registration by mentioning the date up to which you need the temporary registration and by submitting the following documents:
- A copy of the Sales certificate in Form 21
- A copy of the Roadworthiness certificate in Form 22 from the manufacturers (Form 22A from the Body builder)
- A copy of a valid vehicle insurance certificate
- A valid Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC) of the vehicle
- A copy of your proof of address (ration card, electricity bill, etc.)
- A copy of design approval of STA in case of trailers and semi-trailers
- A copy of the original sales certificate from the concerned authorities in Form 21 in the case of ex-army vehicles
- A copy of the customs clearance certificate in the case of imported vehicles
- Unless exempted, the fee payable to the temporary registration or for its extension shall be INR.15/-(as per Rule 89 of APMV Rules)
- Tax as per APMVT Act
2. Permanent Registration
To apply for permanent registration of your vehicle, you need to fill the online application on the Transport Department Portal Online Services and submit Form 20 to the registering authority within 7 days from the delivery date of the vehicle, excluding the period of the journey.
Along with the form, you need to submit the following documents:
- The sales certificate in Form 21
- The roadworthiness certificate in Form 22 from the manufacturers (form 22A from the bodybuilder)
- Valid insurance certificate
- Your proof of address (ration card, electricity bill, etc.)
- Design approval copy of STA in case of trailers and semi-trailers
- The original sales certificate from the concerned authorities in Form 21 in the case of ex-army vehicles
- The Pollution Under Control certificate
- Customs clearance certificate in the case of imported vehicles
- An appropriate fee as specified in rule 81 of CMV rules
- Tax as per AP VAT Act
How To Transfer Vehicle Ownership In Telangana RTO
Transfer of vehicle ownership may happen under any one of the below circumstances:
- Normal purchase and sale
- Death of current vehicle owner
- Auction sale of the vehicle
The procedure to transfer ownership under each circumstance is as stated below:
In case of a purchase and sale of the vehicle, the vehicle owner needs to be transferred to the purchasing party. The transferor has to report the transfer in Form 29 to the registering authorities in whose jurisdiction the transferor and the transferee live or have their places of business.
You need to apply online on the transport department portal for transferring of ownership of the motor vehicle under sub-clause.
The transferee also needs to make an application for the transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle under sub-clause of clause (a) of sub-section (1) of Section 50 in Form 30, along with the following documents:
- The certificate of registration
- The certificate of insurance
- The certificate of pollution under control
- The appropriate fee, as specified in rule 81
In case of death of the existing registered owner of the vehicle, the succeeding owner of the vehicle can legally use the vehicle as his/her own for a period of three months, provided he/she have informed the registering authority of the occurrence of the death of the owner and of their intention to use the vehicle.
The person referred to in sub-rule (1) shall apply in Form 31 within the period of three months to the said registering authority for the transfer of ownership of the vehicle in their name, along with the following documents:
- The appropriate fee as specified in rule 81
- The death certificate of the registered owner
- The certificate of registration and
- The certificate of insurance
In case of the sale of the vehicle at an auction conducted by or on behalf of the central government or state government, the person who purchased the motor vehicle shall make an application in Form 32 within thirty days of taking possession of the vehicle to the registering authority, along with the following:
- The appropriate fee as specified in rule 81
- The certificate of registration and insurance
- The certificate or order confirming the sale of the vehicle in his favor, duly signed by the person authorized to conduct the auction
- The certified copy of the order of the Central Government or State Government authorizing the auction of the vehicle.
Telangana State RTO Codes
|RTO Office||RTO Code|
|Bhadradri Kothagudem district||TS-28|
|Jayashankar Bhupalpally district||TS-25|
|Jogulamba Gadwal district||TS-33|
|Komaram Bheem Asifabad district||TS-20|
|Reserved for Hyderabad||TS-14|
|Warangal (rural) district||TS-24|
|Warangal Urban district||TS-03|
|Yadadri Bhuvanagiri district||TS-30|
Contact Details Of Telangana RTO Headquarters
Transport Commissioner Office
Opposite Eenadu office,
Raj Bhavan Quarters Colony,
Phone: +91 72077 44433
How Can You Get Motor Insurance In Telangana?
Getting insurance for your motor vehicle in Telangana is super easy. You need to apply either online or offline through a trust insurance agent or company. In the offline method, you can visit the insurance office yourself or hire an insurance agent. To apply online, visit the official website of the insurer or insurance aggregator and buy the preferred insurance policy after comparing quotes and offerings from different insurers. Opting for the online policy is a more recommended option as you can get the cheapest deals while sitting out of the comfort of your home.
Check: Hyderabad RTO
Telangana RTO FAQs
You can download any of the concerning driving, permits, or registration, from Telangana Transport Department’s official website. Here’s the link to download these forms online.
The fitness certificate for any new private car is valid for a period of 15 years, post which you can keep renewing it for a term of 5 years. Whereas the fitness certificate for any new commercial vehicle expires in two years and needs to be renewed every year after that.
To change the registered address on your vehicle’s RC book, you need to submit the following:
- Form 33 with chassis print of the vehicle
- NOC of financer, in case there is an ongoing loan on the vehicle
- Original Registration book (RC) of the vehicle
- Valid Insurance certificate
- Valid PUC certificate
- Address proof
The following are the documents required to get a learner driving license in the state of Telangana:
- 3 recent copies of passport size photograph.
- Residence proof of the applicant (Any one of the below – Original and 1 self-attested photocopy)
- Valid Voter ID card.
- Valid Passport copy.
- Electricity bill or Telephone Bill.
- Ration Card copy o Aadhaar Card.
The following are the different colour codes for registration plates in Telangana.
|Vehicle Category||Number plate background colour||Colour of the number on the plate|
|Temporary registration vehicle||Yellow||Red|
|Trade certificate vehicle||Red||White|
|Vehicle of a Government of India diplomatic officer (Delhi)||Dark blue||White|
|Vehicle of a Government of Indiadiplomatic officer (Other than Delhi)||Yellow||Black|
You can download all the forms related to driving, permits and registration from the official website of the Telangana Transport Department. The website also provides many online services for the convenience of the general public. The link for the website to download online forms is http://transport.telangana.gov.in /html/forms-licence.html.
The motor vehicle owner can apply for vehicle insurance online or offline. Offline method is to visit the insurance office in person or contact an insurance agent. Online method is to go on the official website of the insurance company or insurance aggregator website where you can compare quotes of different insurance companies on a single screen and choose the insurance quote best suited for your car. It is recommended to go online for your car insurance as it is convenient and cheap than offline platform.
To transfer vehicle ownership in Telangana the following procedure needs to be followed.
If the R.T.O where the vehicle has to transfer is same then NO NOC is required. If the RTO where the vehicle has to transfer is different or it is from other states, then NOC from previous RTO will be required.
Other Documents required:
- Duly filled Form 29 and 30
- NOC will be required from the financer, if the vehicle has outstanding loan on it
- Valid PUC Certificate
- Valid Vehicle Insurance Certificate
- Registration Certificate of Vehicle
- Document stating the sale and purchase
- ID proof (Pan card, aadhaar card)
- Address proof documents (Electricity bill, Aadhaar card, Passport)
- 1 Passport size photographs