Renew in just 5 mins.
No Inspection. No Paper Work
Car Insurance Plans
Karnataka (KA) RTO
The Karnataka RTO oversees tasks and projects associated with transportation and road safety and development. It also ensures the implementation of the rules and provisions outlined in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Another task of the Karnataka RTO is the collection of road tax for vehicles registered in the state and tolls from vehicles plying on Karnataka roadways.
Duties of the Karnataka RTO
Karnataka’s regional transport offices handle the implementation of the following regulations.
Driving license – Manages both the practical and theoretical sides of the test to the applicants for driving licenses in the state.
- Issues different types of licenses like:
- Learner’s license
- Driving license
- Conductor license
- Driving school license
- Adds license of different vehicle classes to an existing license
- Provides approval for renewal of expired driving license
- Motor vehicle registration
- Issues registration certificates for different classes of vehicles
- Approves applications for transfer of ownership of vehicles registered in Karnataka
- Overlooks approval of applications for change of address
- Approves addition, continuation, and termination of hypothecation
- Issues duplicate registration certificate
- Provides services for the surrender of vehicle registration certificate
- Issues NOC for transfer of vehicle ownership
- Provides services for renewal of vehicle registration
- Overlooks approval of applications for vehicle fitness certificates, including renewals and re-applications.
- Issues duplicate fitness certificate
- Overlooks approval of applications for alteration of vehicle
- Issues permits to commercial vehicles
The Karnataka RTO collects taxes for the following classes of vehicles.
- Motorcycles – motor scooters, cycles with mechanical propellers
- Carriages for people with physical handicaps
- Vintage car
- Classic car
- Camper van not used for hire
- Camper trailers
- Goods Vehicles – mobile canteen, mobile library van, mobile workshop, mobile clinic, X-ray van, cash van
- Weight-laden vehicles
- Construction vehicles
- Passenger transport vehicles
- Motor cabs
- Contract carriages
- Buses – luxury, sleeper coaches, omnibuses
- Camper van used for hire
- Private service vehicles
- Vehicles owned by schools or used for transport of school children
- Vehicles owned by other educational institutions
- Vehicles owned by driving schools
- Vehicles owned by religious and charitable institutions
- Ambulances and hearse vans
- Fire engines, fire tenders, and road water sprinklers
- Trailers and trailer pumps
- Motor vehicles mounted with drilling rigs or air compressor
- Motor cars owned by central government employees, defense personnel, or employees of public sector undertaking
It also collects different amounts of lifetime tax from categories based on the age of the vehicle being registered, its cost, and type.
If a vehicle registered with the Karnataka RTO is being transferred, the RTO refunds taxes based on the time elapsed from the date of registration with the state.
Karnataka’s RTO collects fees for the following services:
- Driver’s license – all types, new, renewal
- Registration services for motor vehicles
- Issuing of permits
- Issuing of fitness certificates
Inspection of vehicles at check posts – The Karnataka RTO ensures compliance with the regulations of all registered vehicles at its check posts.
Vehicle Registration In Karnataka
Registration of a new vehicle can only be done using RTO login credentials or by an automobile dealer.
- Login to the portal and fill the requisite form.
- Print the receipt that is generated upon successful application.
- Pay the fitness fees online and print a copy of the payment receipt.
- Enter the fitness details for the vehicle.
- Pay the IMV fees and BMV taxes online.
- The details submitted will then be reviewed by the authorities and approved.
- Once approved, the registration certificate is ready to be printed.
Contact Details of Karnataka RTO
|KA-01||RTO Bengaluru (Central)|
|KA-02||RTO Bengaluru (West)|
|KA-03||RTO Bengaluru (East)|
|KA-04||RTO Bengaluru (North)|
|KA-05||RTO Bengaluru (South)|
|KA-09||RTO Mysore (West)|
|KA-51||RTO Electronic City|
|KA-55||RTO Mysuru (East)|
|KA-57||RTO, A/R & STU,||Bengaluru|
|KA-62||RTO, Surathkal,||Dakshina Kannada (Dist)|
|KA-63||R.T.O Dharwad (East)|
|KA-64||ARTO Madhugiri,||Tumakuru (Dist.)|
|KA-65||ARTO DandeliUttara||Kannada (Dist, )|
|KA-66||ARTO Tarikere||Chikkamagaluru (Dist.)|
|KA-67||ARTO, Chintamani,||Chikkaballapur (Dist)|
|KA-68||ARTO Ranibennur||Haveri (Dist)|
|KA-69||ARTO, Ramadurga||Belagavi (Dist)|
|KA-70||ARTO Bantwala||Dakshina Kannada|
Contact Details of Karnataka RTO
Office of the Commissioner for Transport,
1st Floor, ‘A’ Block, TTMC Building,
Shantinagar, Bengaluru – 560 027.
Phone number – 080 – 22214900
Whatsapp number – 9449863459
Email ID – email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I want to apply for a driving license in Karnataka. What is the procedure for it?
To get a driving license, you first need to apply for a learner’s license. One month after that, you will be eligible to submit a driving license application. You can do so online on the Parivahan website.
- Fill in your details, upload the requisite documents.
- Add your photograph and signature and book your driving license test slot if prompted.
- Pay the requisite fees and verify the payment status. Once successful, you can print the receipt.
2. I would like to transfer the ownership of my vehicle to another person in Karnataka. How do I do that?
To have your vehicle’s ownership transferred to someone else, visit the Parivahan website. Enter the requisite details online and pay the fee. Take the necessary printouts to the RTO where your application will be processed.