West Bengal (WB) RTO
The Regional Transport Office or the RTO is a dedicated department that oversees transportation-related issues in the country. The RTO follows rules and regulations under the Motor Vehicle Act 1988. Every state has them and in West Bengal, they are scattered around all districts. The primary office in the state is in Kolkata and operates from Paribahan Bhavan.
Primarily, the Regional Transport Office of West Bengal ensures the transportation facilities are universally available to the common people of the city. Other than this, they have several other tasks like preserving the database of Indian vehicles, issuing drivers’ licenses, collecting road tax, etc.
Services Offered by Regional Transport Office West Bengal
Every Regional Transport Office (RTO) in every city, state, or union territory of the country has a specific set of functions that they need to execute. This can be broadly divided into three main categories:
- To facilitate the growth and development of road transportation by managing respective permits.
- To collect and levy the appropriate taxes as per the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
- To ensure the proper enforcement of rules and regulations mentioned under the state motor vehicles guideline, the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, and the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
So as to comply with the above, as per the vehicles act, the West Bengal RTO performs the following activities:
- Motor Vehicle Registration – The RTO issues and renews registration certificates for motor vehicles, issues fitness certificates for vehicles, removal of hypothecation, change in registration details, transfer of ownership of the vehicle, etc.
- Issuance of Driving License – Under this, the RTO ensures the issuance of a learner’s permit and subsequent permanent license, issuing licenses for driving instructors, renewal or duplication of driving license, conducting driving tests, and professional motor vehicles driving schools, etc.
- Motor Vehicle Tax Collection – The RTO collects taxes and fees such as the collection of the vehicle inspection fees, road tax, motor tax, etc.
- Vehicle’s Mechanical Inspection – Inspection so the RTO can issue Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate, clearance to accidental vehicles, and inspection for fitness certification.
- Issuing permits – Permits such as various transportation and tourist permits like All India Tourist Vehicle Authorization and Permit, permits for passenger carrying vehicles and school buses, inter-state national permits for commercial vehicles, and International Driving Permit.
Vehicle Registration Made Easy At West Bengal RTO
It’s compulsory to register a vehicle at the concerned RTO as per the Motor Vehicles Act. Sometimes dealers take care of registration, but if you don’t want them to, you can get it done yourself. All you need are a few documents:
- Form 20 or vehicle registration application form
- Form 21 or sales certificate provided by the dealer
- Form 34 or loan hypothecation details
- NOC from RTO
- Temporary registration number
- Sales tax clearance certificate if the vehicle was purchased in another state
- Sales invoice given by the dealership
- Insurance certificate
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate which shows the vehicle’s emission is under the prescribed limit
- ID and address proof (Voter ID, Aadhar card, passport, electricity bill, ration card, etc.)
- At least 3 photographs (passport size)
For registering a new vehicle, collect these documents and submit it to the RTO. Upon verification, both the documents and the vehicle will be inspected by an official. After everything checks out, the RTO will give you your driver’s license. Typically, the process takes about seven days.
Types of Vehicle Registration in West Bengal RTO
The RTO undertakes two types of vehicle registrations:
- Temporary Vehicle Registration – When you buy a new vehicle, the dealers give you a temporary registration. This permit allows you to use the vehicle for 7 days, which you can extend up to one month. After this, you have to apply for a permanent vehicle registration permit.
- Permanent Vehicle Registration – Every vehicle must have a valid registration. After you purchase your new vehicle, you can submit the needed documents and obtain permanent registration.
West Bengal RTO Codes
|RTO Locations||RTO Code|
|Kolkata Salt Lake||WB08|
|Alipore, South 24 Parganas||WB19|
|Alipore, South 24 Parganas||WB20|
|Alipore, South 24 Parganas||WB22|
Contact Details Of RTO
RTO- West Bengal, West Bengal
Address: Public Vehicles Department
38, Beltala Road, West Bengal, West Bengal – 700020
Phone: +(91)-33-24751621 / 24751622
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are the types of driving licenses issued in the Kolkata RTO:
- License for driving two-wheelers without gear
- License for driving two-wheelers with gear
- License for driving light motor vehicles
- License for driving commercial vehicles
You can submit the application online via the West Bengal state transport department website. Keep all the needed documents handy and upload them when you’re ready to submit your application. Once that’s done, make the payment and your process is complete.
Typically, you have to fill and submit two forms – Form 29 and Form 30 for transfer of ownership.