Renew in just 5 mins.
No Inspection. No Paper Work
Car Insurance Plans
Regional Transport Office (RTO) Punjab
The Punjab Transport Department functions under the provisions of section 213 of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and enforces the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, Punjab Motor Vehicles Taxation Act, 1924, and the rules framed under these two acts.
The department has set up RTOs in different cities of the state in order to decentralize the administration and be closer to the public. All the work pertaining to the registration of vehicles, driving licenses, taxation, issue and renewal of fitness certificates, etc is carried out by these offices.
The RTOs have also instituted 32 automated driving test tracks distributed geographically in the state keeping the public convenience in mind and vehicle population within the region.
Day-To-Day Functions Of Punjab RTO
Punjab RTOs overlook the implementation of the following regulations:
1. Driving License
The Punjab RTO conducts the tests for issuing various driving licenses in the state. Issues the following type of licenses basis the tests:
- Learner’s license
- Driving license
2. Registration of a Motor Vehicle
No person is allowed to drive their vehicle in public, nor will the owner allow anyone else to drive the vehicle until it has been registered according to Chapter IV of the MV Act, 1988. The Regional Transport Office conducts the following tasks related to registration:
- Temporary Registration
- Permanent Registration
- Renewal of the registration certificate.
- Issue a duplicate registration certificate.
- Change of residence.
- Endorse a hire-purchase agreement.
- Terminate a hire-purchase agreement.
- Transfer of ownership for the registration certificate
- Issue a no-objection certificate.
Punjab is split into four regions, each of which is administered by a regional transport authority as per Section 68 of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. These authorities are headed by one state transport commissioner. The Motor Vehicles Act and Rules empower the regional transport authorities and give them the power to discharge these duties, one of which is granting permits. The RTO issues the following permits:
- Tourist Vehicle permit
- National permit
Eleven tax collection centers have been established in the state to collect tax from vehicles entering Punjab from other states.
The RTOs are authorized to collect fees for services on vehicle registration and driving license.
- Registration fees
|Type of Vehicle||Amount|
|Invalid carriage||INR 20|
Non – Transport
Light commercial vehicle
|Imported Motor Vehicle||INR 800|
|Imported Bike||INR 200|
|Any other vehicle||INR 300|
|Change of residence||INR 20|
|Alteration in the registration certificate||INR 50|
- Licensing Fees
|Type of Vehicle||Amount|
|Issue or renewal of Learner’s License of each vehicle class||INR 30|
|Issue of a Permanent Driving License of each vehicle class||INR 50|
|Issue of driving license in Form 7||INR 200|
|Driving test||INR 50|
|Addition of another class of vehicle to the existing driving license||INR 50|
|Renewal of driving license||INR 50|
Punjab State RTO Codes
|RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATIONS||RTO CODE|
|Sangrur||PB-13||Jhunir / Sardulgarh||PB-51|
|Balachaur||PB-20||Dera Baba Nanak||PB-58|
|Malerkotla||PB-28||Nihal Singh Wala||PB-66|
Punjab State RTO FAQs
1. How do I obtain a learner’s/permanent license in Punjab?
A learner’s license can be procured by filling Form 2 and submitting the same with the following documents –
- Medical Certificate in Form No 1-A or declaration in Form 1.
- Three passport size photographs
- INR 30 as a fee for each vehicle
- In the case of an application for a medium goods vehicle, a medium passenger motor vehicle, a heavy goods vehicle, or a heavy passenger vehicle, you need the driving license for a light motor vehicle.
A permanent driving license can be procured by filling Form 4 and submitting it with the following documents:
- A valid learner’s license.
- INR 50 as a fee per class.
- INR 200 as Smart Card fees.
- Three recent passport size photographs.
2. What registration services do Punjab's RTOs offer?
Punjab’s RTOs offer the following services on vehicle registration –
- Temporary registration
- Permanent registration
- Registration certificate renewal
- Duplicate registration certificate
- Change of address
- Endorsement and termination of hire-purchase agreements
3. How can I apply for a NOC with a Punjab RTO?
To apply for a NOC at a Punjab RTO, fill 3 copies of Form 28 and submit them to the registering authority who previously registered or transferred the vehicles. Attach the copies of the registration certificate of the vehicle and address proof while submitting.