Consumable Add-on Cover
When you buy a comprehensive car insurance policy, it comes with certain limitations. One of these limitations is it does not provide coverage for the consumables of your car. Consumables are those parts or commodities of your car that are used for a specific reason for a limited period of time and after that, you need to change or replace them due to regular wear and tear. Such items are engine oil, ball bearings, nuts, bolts, washers, brake oil, etc.
Since the list of consumables is quite long, the expenses of them may pose a financial burden if your car meets an accident, or any other losses and damages as you have to pay the amount out of your own pocket, even if you have a comprehensive car insurance policy. But you can avoid this very easily if you opt for Consumable Add-on Cover, just by paying a little extra premium. However, this premium amount will vary from one insurer to another.
Benefits of Consumable Add-on Cover
This cover completes the entire protection for your car along with a comprehensive car plan. Here are the benefits of this cover.
- With this car insurance add-on cover, you do not have to pay for the consumables of your car while repairing your damaged car.
- By paying a marginal amount for this cover, you can stay tension-free about the small repair works.
- If you have this cover, your financial burden will be lessened and you have peace of mind.
- It enables you to stay protected and save money at the same time.
Exclusions of Consumable Add-on Cover
Since it is an add-on cover, there are certain limitations that come with this policy. To have a comprehensive idea about this cover, have a look at the general exclusions of it, below.
- In case of mechanical or electrical breakdown, you can not file a claim against this cover.
- If you do not inform the insurer as soon as the incident happens, your claim might get rejected.
- If the accident or the damage happens, while you were driving without an active license, the company will not take any responsibility for your loss.
- If you are driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or any other intoxicating substances, this cover will be of no help.
- If the accident or the damage is intentional, self-inflicted, or if it has been incurred due to a suicide attempt, or suicide, that will also fall under the category of exclusions.
- If your car is registered as a private car, but you are using it for commercial purposes, and any accident happens, you will not get any compensation for that.
- In the case of routine wear and tear of the vehicle parts, this cover will not offer any coverage.
List of Consumables That Can Be Covered By Consumable Add-on Cover
This add-on cover provides coverage for the following things listed below.
- All types of lubricants and oils including power steering oil, brake oil, engine oil, radiator coolants, and air conditioner gas, air conditioner gas oil.
- Gear box
- Important items like nuts, screws, bolts, grease, washers, etc.
- Distilled water
- Oil filter
- Other similar items.
The above list may vary from one car insurance company to another.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following factors can affect the premium amount of this add-on cover.
- Car model
- Engine variant
- Location of the registration
- The age of the car
The following terms and conditions you need to keep in mind.
- The insured person can file a claim under this cover only if it is accepted under the ‘Own Damage’ section of his/her comprehensive car insurance policy.
- For an accepted and valid claim, you need to repair the consumables within 3 days from the date of the accident. If the repair work is not done within the said time period, your claim may get rejected.
- This cover is only available for cars, which are not more than 5 years old.
No, this add-on cover cannot be purchased with a third party liability car insurance plan.
Yes, this cover offers coverage to commercial vehicles as well, such as cabs, taxis, etc.
Anyone who wants to reduce the cost of minor repairs and replacements, and stay worry-free, can buy this policy.
No, it does not cover the fuel expenses.
The necessary documents are as follows.
- All the bills and receipts for the repair work are in their original form.
- Your original active comprehensive car insurance policy, where the consumable add-on cover is mentioned as inclusion.