Don't pay hefty penalty. Renew car insurance in just 5 mins.
Driving Licence (Sarathi) in Tamil Nadu
Commuting to the office and back home has become a stressful task nowadays owing to the increase in population heading to work, hence owning a vehicle has become more of a necessity.
However, in India, if an individual wish to ride any vehicle on the street, a legal driving licence is mandatory.As per the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, it is compulsory for an individual to get a driving licence in order to be able to drive a vehicle on the street.
The process of obtaining a Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu is an easy process. However, before receiving a permanent driving licence one must opt for a learner’s licence in Tamil Nadu. There are certain rules and regulations in order to be able to get a driving licence in Tamil Nadu.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
In Tamil Nadu, driving licence is received based upon the type of vehicle being used. The main classification of vehicles includes transport and non-transport vehicle:
1) Driving licence for transport vehicles:
This type of driving licence is for one who wants to drive commercial vehicles.
This type includes:
· Light Motor Vehicles or LMV: Examples include jeep, taxi, auto rickshaw, delivery vans,etc
· Heavy Motor Vehicles: Examples include trucks, buses, tractors,etc
2) Driving licence for non-transport vehicle:
This type of driving licence is for individuals who want to issue a driving licence for personal use. Such people cannot drive vehicles such as trucks, buses, tractors, etc. The non-transport vehicle includes car, two-wheelers, and motorcycles without gear.
This category includes:
· Motorcycles (with gear): This category includes all motorcycles with gear.
· Motorcycles (without gear): This category includes motor vehicles without gear. Examples include mopeds and scooters
· Light Motor Vehicles such as bikes and cars
What are the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
In order to be eligible for obtaining a driving licence in Tamil Nadu, one must fall underthe below-mentioned criteria:
1) An applicant must be at least 16 years to drive a motorcycle without gear with an engine capacity not exceeding 50CC.
2) An applicant should have completed 18 years in order to apply for a driving licence for a motorcycle with gear, light motor vehicle
3) An applicant must complete at least 20 years in order to apply for a driving licence for a commercial vehicle
4) One can apply for a permanent driving licence after 30 days and within 180 days of applying for a learners licence
5) An applicant must follow all rules and regulations
How to Apply For Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
The process of applying for a driving licence in Tamil Nadu is easy and seamless. The applicant can apply for a permanent driving licence after 30 days of obtaining a learner’s licence and the application must be done within 180 days from the date of issue of the learner’s license. During this duration, the applicant can practice driving.
One can download the application form from the official website-tnsta.gov.in/transport or can even collect the form RTO office. Fill and submit the form along with all the relevant documents to the RTO office. Carry all the original documents. Book a date for the driving test and after clearing the test, the applicant would be eligible for learner’s licence.
Procedure to Apply For Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
In order to apply for driving licence in Tamil Nadu, one must follow the following steps:
1) Online procedure
Download form from the official website-tnsta.gov.in/transport (Tamil Nadu state government website)
Print the form
Fill and submit the form to RTO office
The applicant can select a schedule (suitable date and time) for driving test
After passing the test, the applicant receives the learner’s licence via speed post in the registered address
2) Offline procedure:
• Collect form from RTO office
• Fill and submit the form along with all the required documents to the RTO office. Carry all the original documents as well
• Book a suitable date and time for driving test
• Take the test
• After the individual passes the test, learner’s licence will be received to him/her via registered address
• Once you apply for the learner’s licence you will be able to get a permanent driving license.
What Are the Documents Required to Apply for Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
Below are the documents which need to be submitted in order to apply for a driving licence in Tamil Nadu:
1) Age-proof documents(anyone):
i) Certificate of Birth
iii) Aadhar Card
iv) LC or School Leaving Certificate
2) Address proof documents (any one):
ii) Voter ID’s
iii) Life insurance policy
iv) Pay slip issued by the state government
3) Other documents
i) Application form
ii) Vehicle documents
iii) Application Fees (Rs.200)
iv) Original LL
The applicant would receive the permanent driving licence, after 1 month of getting the learner’s licence.
Tamil Nadu Driving Licence (Sarathi) FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers about Tamil Nadu Driving Licence (Sarathi)
1. How to apply for learning driving license?
The procedure for obtaining a driving licence is simple.
• An individual should fill the application form
• Submit all the necessary documents
• Visit RTO to give a driving test
• After passing the driving test, the applicant can get their learning driving licence.
2. How to renew the driving licence in Tamil Nadu?
After the date of expiry, the driving licence is validup to 30 days. A driving licence is valid for 20 years or till the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. An applicant must apply for a driving licence within 5 years from the date of expiry and if he or she fails to apply then will have to undergo a driving test. In case of disqualification, an applicant cannot apply for the renewal.
• Driving licence
• Age, address proof documents
• Submit three passport size photographs
• Form 1 (physical fitness form)
• Form 1-A (medical certificate), if applicant above 50 years of age
• Form 9 (renewal form)
• Application form INR 200. In case 30 days of expiry, a fee of INR 10
• No objection certificate has to be received from RTO if driving licence is issued by some other RTO
3. How to check driving licence number?
In order to check for a driving licence number, one must go through either of the below steps:
• Sarathi website
• Visit the RTO office.
4. How to apply for duplicate driving licence in Tamil Nadu?te RC Book in Mumbai?
• Fill the applicationform and submit it to nearest RTO office.
• Pay application fee of INR 125
• A receipt would be provided which can be used as a temporary driving licence
• For Form-7, there is a minimal fee of Rs 40
• After verification, the applicant would receive a duplicate driving licence through the post
5. How to check the status of driving licence in Tamil Nadu?
• Visit Sarathi website, select Status of licence in the right
• Select Tamil Nadu and enter the driving licence number
• After clicking the submit button, you will receive the details about your driving licence status.